Charger gets really hot. Is this normal?
pattiobear

Hey,

When I use the wall charger (stock that came with the phone), it gets really hot (about 160 degrees Fahrenheit) when it's been plugged in for a while (i.e. when I charge my phone from about 50% or below to full). This has been a problem since I bought the phone (4 months ago). Also, if I smell the USB ports on the charger when it's hot, I can smell a faint "short-circuit smell." Is this normal, or should I try to get a replacement charger from Verizon?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Charger gets really hot. Is this normal?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi pattiobear! I'm very concerned after reading your description of issues relating to the charging of your Droid RAZR Maxx. No, these are not normal behaviors. If your device is not physically damaged, I recommend replacing it. If you have not yet gotten this matter resolved, please "follow" Dion M through this forum so that I can reach out to you via Direct Message. Thank you!

Dion M.
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
fuzzy48
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes my charger does get very Hot !  I won't let it charge while I'm sleeping. I worrie about a fire !

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi pattiobear! I'm very concerned after reading your description of issues relating to the charging of your Droid RAZR Maxx. No, these are not normal behaviors. If your device is not physically damaged, I recommend replacing it. If you have not yet gotten this matter resolved, please "follow" Dion M through this forum so that I can reach out to you via Direct Message. Thank you!

Dion M.
VZW Support

0 Likes
pattiobear

Unfortunately, I dropped the phone and the screen is cracked. Other than that, there has been no damage/abuse to either the phone, cable, or charger. What do you recommend doing to resolve the issue, as I don't really want the phone to be damaged internally from charging it.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

As Dion suggested if it is getting extremely Hot i would get it Replaced mine gets warm that's Normal because the Charger is Changing Ac to Dc Current so there will be some Warming but a extreme Heat Temperatures should be fixed..

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Fuzzy48, I understand your concern about the charger. How long has it been like this? Where did you get the charger from (the store/online)? Have you tried to return it? Please advise, I would love to help!^SP

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello again pattiobear! Replacing the device is the best option. If you have insurance, I recommend filing a claim through Asurion for your replacement. You can do so through their website www.phoneclaim.com or by phone at 888-881-2622.

And thanks so much to B33 for assistance!!

Dion M.
VZW Support

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Your Welcome b.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
pattiobear

I tried following you, but you haven't responded yet.

If I go to the local Verizon store and state my case, would they be able to replace my phone, or at least give me a different charger for free (I'm not sure what insurance I have on it)? I've noticed that the battery life has decreased: I now deplete the battery level to about 15% every day (from full) if I don't charge it during the day. It seemed that the battery lasted a lot longer when I got the phone. (May 2012).

0 Likes