Change/customize source folder for selecting an existing photo in a text?
JKG1959

Is there a way to customize the source folder for selecting existing photos as attachments to a text? Or to allow multiple folders/locations as the source?

Recently, the source folder has changed from Gallery to Files when clicking on the paperclip (attachment) icon while creating a text message. Finding the photo I want to attach is very difficult, especially since I have a lot of photos stored on the phone. Now, under Files, I have to click on Existing picture > SD card > dcim > Camera, and then wait for 2093 photos to load, and scroll through all of them since they are sorted early to recent and I'm usually wanting to select a recent photo. Whereas, before this latest upgrade, clicking on the attachment icon would take me to Gallery where I could easily find the photo I wanted in my Albums, which are automatically sorted with most recent first.

(I do understand that I can start out by selecting my photo first and then clicking on the share icon and selecting text messaging, but that is not always the most convenient way, if I am already in a text conversation and just want to attach a photo.) I am using the messaging app that came with the phone.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Change/customize source folder for selecting an existing photo in a text?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That can definitely be annoying, JKG1959! This should help out. Please go to Settings>Application Manager>ALL>Messages>Clear the Cache and Data>Force Close. When you open the Messages app, and you try to send a picture, it should ask you what default program you would like to use to view your gallery. Just choose Gallery, and choose if you want to make that the default application for that service feature, and you should be good to go!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JKG1959

Thank you - one question before I clear my data...does that mean I'll lose all my texts? I really don't want to lose them all. Is there any way to save a whole "thread" of them? I text myself reminders, notes, etc and don't want to clear them out.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JKG1959,

That is a wonderful question.  I don't want you to lose any of your text messages. I can assure you that if you do the Clear cache, and data on the Message application all of your text messages will still be there. But, you can always back up the text messages to be on the safe side with the Verizon Cloud application. Check it out: http://vz.to/1rtud5p  Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually if you cleared the data on any application, it will delete the user information for that application. This includes the Messages application. Clearing the cache does not delete user data. Please review your information again.

The user can backup their messages using a SMS Backup application from the Play Store before clearing the data and then restore the messages afterwards.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes