Cell Phone Out of Service and Texting
DEACON7X7

If cell phone service doesn't work (hiking at 19,000 feet) - it is possible that texting might work?

If Wi-Fi is available, would texting work at 19,000 ft?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Cell Phone Out of Service and Texting
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

We would have to know what phone you are referring to.  Generally speaking Verizon 4G LTE covers everything (data, voice and text/sms).  If there is no 4G signal then text wont work either.  If your phone can fall back to 3G then maybe, but you need a signal from Verizon one way or another.  No signal means no services either.

If you have the option to use WiFi in this location then I would not rely on text/SMS.  Instead find a messenger app that works over WiFi such as Kik.  Send your messages over WiFi instead of SMS and you should be in business.

DEACON7X7

Thanks for the response John, I appreciate your help.

0 Likes
DEACON7X7

The phone is a Motorola Droid Max 2

0 Likes
amberf_vzw
Verizon Employee
It sounds like you have a good hiking trip coming up Deacon7x7. Join has made a great suggestion. The good news is you can use Verizon Messages +. It can send you messages via WiFi so you can stay in touch with your friends/family on your contact list. You can easily download in the Play Store, all you have to do is search for Verizon Messages plus. Here https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-messages-faqs/ are some facts about the application. I do hope this helps.

AmberF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DEACON7X7

Thank you for your help! It really saves time asking those in the know Smiley Happy

0 Likes