Re: Can someone clear up when ICS will be released?
Tlishus
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mustangman4:

I received the same message about an hour ago (Tucson, AZ), about my phone will be updated in less than a week.  Maybe, it has all not been just a dream after all! LOL 

0 Likes
Tlishus
Enthusiast - Level 1

At 10:40 Local, download of update started for me, Tucson, AZ!

0 Likes
tboy1972

I just got off the phone with verizon and they told me it could take up to two more weeks before I get it.

0 Likes
roachman55
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well it is 5:20 PM in Detroit area and I don't have it or a message yet. They don't like me I guess

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You'll get it relax. They don't want to DDOS themselves pushing everything all at once.

0 Likes
jotns

I can understand that for the cell-network, but they should look into following the GNU method of distribution using torrenting software and forcing the first week of updates to be performed on WIFI.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There's a LARGE difference...  the GNU uses 10's of THOUSANDS of servers, and are in various locations around the world which are privately owned so there is no network load, and people seed to help reduce load will be no where near Verizon's load would be if they updated every device.  For Verizon to do this people will complain about data usage and why they are being charged for the bandwidth. 

0 Likes
jotns

Do you even understand how non-centralized software distribution software works? Blizzard (makers of games like World of Warcraft and Diablo III) has adapted this to the private market have been using this to off-set their overhead rather successfully for years now. Granted this network traffic isn't all on the same provider, but I doubt Verizon has sold on the order of 12 million units with gigabyte sized updates for the Razr/Razr Maxx. I did mention having the option of forcing users to use wifi for the first week of updates to prevent choking the cell-network?

Maybe GNU was a bad example. What I am getting at is that Blizzard is a smaller company than Verizon that is able to push more for updates than what has happened with ICS. They already figured out to use torrenting software to expedite update distributions.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes I do, but everyone seeds.  How are you going to seed on a mobile device after the first week? There are three complaints here on this forum about data.  There are going to be people who claim they don't want it and they always have wifi, and there are people who complain they don't want to have a data plan or care to use wifi, and people who don't have wifi or internet service at all.  It works for blizzard as everyone who has a computer and plays their games must do so online so there is always a connection outside their networks to offload traffic.  It's not that simple here.

0 Likes
jotns

They can keep their push system, the torrenting would be simply available to those who have the means to use it, ie those with wifi available. This cut's their distribution system costs and makes everyone happy instead of waiting so long. This wouldn't be available over the 3g/4g network.

0 Likes