Can We Just Get Rid of 4.1.2 Please?
LordSpamBot

There was an obvious lapse in judgement with you, Verizon, opting to apply 4.1.2 Jellybean to your droid phones.

This has pretty much wrecked most devices and has left people with a device that obviously cannot perform as advertised.

• The Battery Life has shortened significantly because of system-related processes. It is mathematically impossible for it to be anything else, because over 90% of the battery usage is always the phone's OS. I can't even have my phone idle over-night with only skype running. The battery drains from 100% -> 10% over the course of, what? Seven hours? The phone was very clearly advertised to have enough battery to, in motorola's own words, to watch movies for fifteen hours, or to listen to music for two and a half days, or have a conference call for over 21 hours. This current battery life is absolutely unacceptable and not worth the exorbitant amount of money you charge for both the phone and the two year contract.

• Every time I plug in my phone and sync new music to it, I have to wait twenty minutes for it to detect all of my songs, and I don't even have that many.

• The phone has become significantly slower and crashes much more often. Apps take much longer to load and trying to close them only causes more problems

• Ever since the new update, it's been increasingly difficult to get a reliable 4G signal, which is a pretty big deal considering the ridiculous prices you charge for it.

• The battery and phone gets ludicrously hot. So hot, in fact, that I actually have to take it out of its otterbox case and put it in front of my fan to cool it off. It never had that problem until now.

4.1.2 obviously broke more things than it fixed, and it should be your responsibility, Verizon, since you sold the phones, to see to it that a rollback happens. No more updates to "fix" things, just go back to an earlier, obviously more stable version than the really, really bad one that's out now.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Can We Just Get Rid of 4.1.2 Please?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not all devices have had problems with the 4.1.2 update.  Have you tried a system cache clear on the phone yet?

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously to go into system recovery

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

This won't erase any data or change any settings, but it just may help clear up some of the issues you are having.  Apps that are not updated may also cause problems, so be sure all your apps are up to date.

My OS (4.1.2 on Motorola Droid 4) is 33% of my battery usage, going 9 hours + and at 70% left.  Screen is 35% - it varies but it's not been 90% and I get many hours of use....

Screenshot_2013-06-18-15-17-36.png

Psy83

Yes i had the same problem with my Droid pro after it did the update It would come on it kept restarting i had to take everything out and reset it.but it still would not start then i fund some fix's from the forms on here so when i finally got it on it kept freezing up and the bat started getting really hot.now its power cycling its self over and over again.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I have had no problems with my Razr Maxx either before or after the update.  There must be something else going on.  I did a factory reset before doing the update.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Psy83. I want you to be able to enjoy that awesome Droid Pro after the update. If the device is getting extremely hot, it's best to take the phone, battery, and any chargers you use regularly to a Verizon Wireless store http://bit.ly/3SdsA for a hands-on evaluation. To get the phone a bit more stable and stop it from power cycling, try to place the phone into Safe Mode http://vz.to/qHs9Z6. This will stop all 3rd party applications from running and allow you to remove some of your applications in an attempt to stop it from power cycling when you take it off Safe Mode. Last but not least, you can also complete an alternate hard reset http://vz.to/soIMAw to clear the slate and start fresh. It's been a fantastic help to many customers when strange quirks pop up.

Jennifer_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
pdoyle35
Enthusiast - Level 2

SuzyQ's system cache clear has restored my Razr Maxx from sluggish and slow to just as responsive as a year ago when I got it with ICS...thanks big time!   Smiley Happy

SuzyQ wrote:

Not all devices have had problems with the 4.1.2 update.  Have you tried a system cache clear on the phone yet?

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously to go into system recovery

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

This won't erase any data or change any settings, but it just may help clear up some of the issues you are having.  Apps that are not updated may also cause problems, so be sure all your apps are up to date.

My OS (4.1.2 on Motorola Droid 4) is 33% of my battery usage, going 9 hours + and at 70% left.  Screen is 35% - it varies but it's not been 90% and I get many hours of use....

Screenshot_2013-06-18-15-17-36.png

drhink

I'm having a very similar poor experience with my razr maxx since getting the 4.1.2 update.  Slow downs and freeze ups have become the new normal.  I've tried all the different tips and advice:  cleared/wiped the system cache partition.  Uninstalled several apps except the bare essentials.  Freed up a bunch of memory.  Better, but still randomly freezes up - just not as often.  Several times a day, I'll try to do something, and get the "homescreen is not responding - wait/close", or some other app I was trying to use gives a similar popup.  I decided I needed to know what on earth is going on, so I installed SystemPanel from NextApp.  Needless to say, when the phone is sluggish, the systempanel history shows 100% cpu utilization during those periods.  Looking at a weeks worth of usage data shows that homescreen and system processes and system are far and away the top apps by cpu usage.  The top two offending system processes (services) appears to be com.android.smspush and com.motorola.devicemanagement.  There are times when the phone is sitting idle where either or both of these processes just eat up all the available cpu.  The Contacts app seems to also use a relatively large amount of cpu most of the time; I'm guessing it tied to the smspush service module.  I'd like someone at verizon to investigate and fix what are obvious defects in the 4.1.2 release.  If I kill these two processes so they restart automatically, the cpu usage goes back well below 10% again for a while, and everything works normally on the phone for a while.  If it was a defective app, I'd simply get rid of it.  But these two kernal processes (one android, one motorola) are obviously required modules.  FIX THEM!  Clearly there is a defect that causes them to go and spin off in some kind of endless loop until some lengthy time limit before they sleep again.   Verizon:  If you're not going to address these problems, at least give me an easy way to downgrade back to 4.1.0.

0 Likes
drhink

I forgot to mention:  the built-in motorola "smart actions" app seems to be having problems triggering properly.  I'm just guessing, but it's probably due to the potential problem with com.motorola.devicemanagement.  I haven't tried to disable all the smartactions, but I will probably try that next since I'm running out of self-service options to try and get my phone back so it's consistently usable.  Another potentially related issue with devicemanagement:  my bluetooth no longer automatically connects to paired devices.  I have to manually click on the device for it to connect.  I'll try repairing a couple devices and see if that fixes that problem.  If not, I'll be back with another update.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your recent experience with your Droid Razr Maxx in recent months, drhink.  Did you immediately notice the issue after clearing the system cache? Do you notice any improvement while running the device in Safe Mode?

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Jaxle67
Contributor - Level 2

Maybe im the lucky onebut ive not encounterd a single issue with all updates since I purchased my maxx almost 2 years ago. if whatever my next phone turns out to be if its half as good as this ones been ill be happy. Looking like it might be the ultra or the maxx but who knows

0 Likes