Re: Brand New Droid Razr M locking up
Pentathius
Enthusiast - Level 2

As I mentioned, Verizon says there's a fix in test, but don't have a expected release date.  As of two days ago, my phone didn't have this behavior for a single day - it then repeated the following day, but didn't do it today.  I'm trying to narrow down what might be allowing it to continue running.

As for letting you exchange, good luck.  At least here in Longmont, CO, the store manager told me tough luck.  I was within the 2 week trial period, so they were willing to exchange for a different device, but they wouldn't give me another RAZR M.

By the way, it's not the RAZR M that's causing the problem, it's the apps that Verizon is running or the OS by Motorola.

I will let you all know if I find a successful workaround.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Pentathius: The OS = "operating system"  that's on Google's End as they supply the operating system's but it will be in Motorola court to fix as it's there phone). Google may help assist them more Now as they own a Good stake in Motorola but that's Only a possible Guess..

0 Likes
Razrmuser
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Razr M that I got in November 2012.  It has worked just fine until the past three days, when it has been locking up and then the screen just blacks out.  I have been using the "press the on/off and volume key" thing and that does get the phone screen to come back, but I'm getting a lot of "not responding" messages.  My email hasn't been syncing regularly either.  It also seems to be overheating when in use.  I like the phone, the size, etc., but I'm not wild about the non-removable battery - it makes it hard to reboot.  

I am still under warranty but then they'll just send me a refurbished piece of junk.  I hate the 2 year contracts with Verizon.  If we have a phone that's not working for us, we should be able to swap it in.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried a system cache clear?  It doesn't take that long and won't delete your data:

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously to go into system recovery

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

0 Likes
doodie47

Beware of your Razr M overheating.  Mine got fried last week because of this.  I had just turned it off before going into a meeting.  I double checked it a few minutes later to make sure I had turned it off and it was so hot I could barely handle it and took over 2 hours for it to cool off!  It would not power up at all.  Totally killed my phone!  Just got the replacement in and hopefully this doesn't happen again! 

0 Likes
Xanthorpe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tikibar1 - I tried following your instructions for a cache wipe...I got as far as the droid with the exclamation point over his innards...but pressing the volume up/down keys simultaneously did not help...I freaked out a little because basically nothing helped...it looked like the Razr M was frozen in that mode...but after a few minutes it must've timed out because it rebooted on it's own...any ideas why I can't do the cache wipe as you suggested?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you get to the point with the Android and the exclamation point and pressing volume up/down simultaneously doesn't seem to work, try this:

press and hold the volume down and wait for a second or two, then press and hold the volume up and the volume down buttons for 5-6 seconds and then release

Then continue with the rest of the steps.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

One thing to Note when press those buttons,  You have to do it,  in a kind of fast succession rate i'v had to start all over more than i can count on my fingers because i didn't do it Quick enough.!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I'v noticed on my Razr Maxx that's got Jelly Bean on it,  if i press and hold Just the Power Button for say 10 to 15 sec my Maxx will shut and then come back so i don't if that is considered a Fast reboot or What, I was telling someone on the Forum yesterday i think   i'v been on here so many days i wander if i coming or going)  That if the phone is off you can still do a power Cycle on it you use the same method as if it is On,  press and hold the power + lower Volume toggle for 20 to 30 sec. you'll see a line go across the the screen that's ok it's just letting you know the phone went through the power Cycle..

0 Likes
M_D_K_
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got the Razr M for both my parents last year around Oct and they work fine and got one for my wife in March or early April and it freezes all the time... like once a week or so. This is unacceptable since she needs it for work and waking up most of the time (yes we have an alarm clock too) But if work needs her at the hospital earlier, they need to be able to call.

Is there a real solution, was this a bad batch of phones and is VERIZON sending replacements?

0 Likes