Bluetooth disconnects randomly
RPfenning
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have two Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX (one is an HD).  We use our phones with Bluetooth ear pieces every night 2 - 2.5 hours each night.  Recently, past month or so, when using the our phones with Bluetooth devices, the Bluetooth will suddenly drop and the phone kicks over to Speaker (but when you look at the phone, the in-call display shows it is still using BT).  Most often, we can use the in-call display to switch from BT to Speaker and then back to BT.  However, this is not always successful - tonight for example, the BT was dropped and I can't get it to reconnect.  There has also been instances where the phone (Droid RAZR MAXX HD) has disconnected with Dodge U-Connect.

Phone ype connected to BT type

Droid RAZR MAXX - Plantronic Voyager

Droid RAZR MAXX HD - Plantronic Voyager Legend Pro

As a matter of troubleshooting:

1.  BT Cache has been cleared

2.  Phones have been Powered Off and back on (daily)

3.  BT are fully charged

4.  One BT is brand new (Plantronic Voyager Legend Pro)

5.  BT devices are current on Firmware

6.  It's clearly not the BT devices

7.  Both phones are current with software provided by Verizon:

Android 4.1.2

System version 9.18.94.XT926.Verizon.en.US

8.  Phones are well cared for, no damage and look new.  No drops, no abuse - just responsible users.

Yes I have looked at forums and other help pages. 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Bluetooth disconnects randomly
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention RPfenning! It actually is common for devices to drop connection from bluetooth devices from time to time. When this issue started do you recall downloading any application prior to the start? Do you recall when the last time you completed an OS update was? Have you fully restored/reset your device? Please keep us posted, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
redneck65674
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having the same problem with my Droid Razr M.  It started the evening of 3/6/2014;  I can make or receive calls as usual, but after 5 minutes or so, the call switches to speaker.  Any attempt to transfer back to bluetooth while talking disconnects the call immediately.  It occurs with my VTech cordless phones with bluetooth AND with the integrated bluetooth in my GM vehicle. My cell phone is the only phone that I have (no wired phone).  Since this began, I have had two family medical emergencies (sister with cancer, nephew in severe car wreck) so I can't be without this phone.

Until Thursday, bluetooth has been working perfectly.  I've had the phone since March 2013. I can attest to the comments that the original poster made.  All current, no abuse, no recent app downloads.

System version 98.18.94.XT907.verizon.en.us
Android 4.1.2

Here's what I've done:

Power cycle phone

Remove pairing with both bluetooth devices and reinstalled
Reboot in Safe Mode
Removed & reinstalled SIM card

Completed factory reset TWICE (first time used PREFERRED method, didn't do a thing, had to use ALTERNATE)

As of 3/9/2014 at 10:45 AM, everything SEEMS to be functioning properly.
Will monitor and report back.

By the way, both bluetooth devices (VTech cordless and GM integrated) work flawlessly with Droid X2
It looks like  a large number of users have experienced this problem in the past two or three weeks.
Did Verizon push an update that created this problem?  If so, what are they doing about it?

Thanks to any and all who can provide a solution!

paulras
Enthusiast - Level 3

I started an exact same thread last week and several other RAZR users (not just MAXX HD) are having the same problem that started about 2 weeks ago. Very frustrating. And it's not just when you use bluetooth; it happens when using the handset. Just flips to speakerphone for no reason. Verizon needs to figure this problem out - it's not isolated.

Someone thought it had to do with an updated to Google Text to Speach. But it hasn't helped a couple of us. No answers and the phone that was very good before is now the most annoying thing to use (for calls at least). 

I'm starting to wonder if this is Verizon's way of forcing us to upgrade to their new Edge program before the end of March.

RPfenning
Enthusiast - Level 1

It actually is common for devices to drop connection from bluetooth devices from time to time.

Really?  It's common.  That is a really lame answer.

This is the first time I've ever had this problem with any of my phones.  Sorry, that would be like saying your car will/could just stop running once in awhile.  Don't worry, that's normal . . .

When this issue started do you recall downloading any application prior to the start?

I don't remember when this started.  But I can say that is it disconnects from my Dodge Charger U-Connect, Plantronics Voyager, Plantronics Voyager Pro and Plantronics Voyager Legend.  I did install the Plantronics software for Android.  But after your response, I removed the programs as well as any other unnecessary software that may interfere with Bluetooth.

Yesterday, the Droid RAZR MAXX has now begun to drop connections from the OEM wired headset.

Do you recall when the last time you completed an OS update was?

Build date: Sept 25, 2013 at 13:00 CST

As far as I know, both phones are current. I have checked for updates and it says it is current.

Software provided by Verizon:  Android 4.1.2

System version 9.18.94.XT926.Verizon.en.US

Have you fully restored/reset your device?

I have not performed a full reset.  I am not eager to reset back to original settings thereby losing everything, having to set it back up and hoping that I don't lose something (or everything).

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RPfenning, thanks for these details. Have you downloaded 3rd party applications to your device from the Google Play market? Hard resetting your device will ensure that any software issue that's causing your bluetooth to drop connection is removed. Here's the steps: http://vz.to/1gxrMIz Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
gglawlor
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am experiencing the same problem with TWO different Bluetooth headsets, a Plantronics and a Bose.  They both pair fine with no disconnect issues to my wife's Samsung S4 phone.  With the RAZR MaxxHD I have the SAME issues.

Verizon needs to actually READ these posts.  It is not simply a matter of a bluetooth device "dropping" (which is NOT normal in any case - lame).  The bluetooth disconnects BUT, as mentioned by others, the onscreen indicator still shows the bluetooth is connected.  Switching to Speaker or Handset and then back to bluetooth works SOMETIMES.  And since I performed no formal "reconnecting" of the bluetooth device this could not simply be a "dropped" bluetooth connection  -in that case the on screen indicator icon would have gone from blue to white and I would have had to reconnect.  Flip flopping between speaker and blue tooth is NOT a normal "reconnect."

Also as for "resetting the phone" this is the lowest common denominator (read as L-A-Z-Y) response.  Imagine wiping your laptop back to factory state every time your printer failed to print!!!

Frankly the problem may now be Lenovo's but I don't want to give Verizon an out since they supply the "Motorola" phone.

How about actually doing some WORK and HELPING your customers, Verizon!!

I have been a customer since 1990.  Thanks.

chipperh

I also have the DROID MAXX, and have been experiencing the Bluetooth disconnecting randomly, usually after a few minutes, in my car.  Like one other on this thread, music streams via Bluetooth just fine.

I also have issues with WiFi randomly 'Greying out' and not moving any data.  Both of these problems started at about the same time. (approx. a month ago).  Since I was on travel to Guam for 5 weeks, I cannot pinpoint the exact date the issues started.

Is Motorola coming out with a "Fix" for this?
What is Verizon doing to fix this issue?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for sharing your concern, and we want to make sure this is resolved. Are you seeing any errors when Bluetooth drops? Does the Bluetooth turn off completely on the phone or just no longer connected to the device? Have you synced with other Bluetooth devices? If you haven't already, please delete the paired connection and pair again.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
gglawlor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon,

I do not see any "errors" but what would that even mean in this case? I

will try to answer your other questions and describe the situation fully.

The circumstances are not always the same with regard to how the problem

appears. Sometimes the Bluetooth indicator on the phone's top status bar

remains lit (blue), showing there is still a connection, but the bluetooth

device has in fact dropped out, and the audio is coming out of the phone.

Usually when the Bluetooth device drops, the audio defaults to the handset

earpiece (not the speaker). Sometimes, but not always, it is possible at

that point to select the speaker icon on the bottom of the screen and be

given a choice in the pop up menu there of choosing "Bluetooth", other

times the choices are only "handset" and "speaker." When you choose

Bluetooth, if presented, it will sometimes re-connect and other times it

won't!! To answer your question, the phone's bluetooth function does not

turn off completely in ANY case, that is, the bluetooth soft-switch never

reverts to "off" from "on." It simply stops working! Yes I have synced

with THREE bluetooth devices, all of which used to work fine until about 5

weeks ago when they ALL flaked out (my technical term). YES I tried

deleting the paired connection and re-pairing. It does not help the

problem.

One other tid-bit for you. When I look at the Bluetooth function screen

showing all of my devices, the screen does NOT always show the Bluetooth

device as "connected" EVEN WHEN IT IS WORKING and I am talking on it. When

I select the device on screen, it asks me if I want to end the connection,

so it must "know" it is connected. When I do disconnect and then reconnect

(not re-pair, just re-connect) the device will show with the word

"connected" under the device name. It will stay like that for awhile until

the problem happens again.

Sometimes the device will drop, reconnect, drop, reconnect, all on it's own

in a sort of cycle which is amazingly frustrating!

Thank you for your continued efforts. i have used Verizon since 1990 so I

have paid a lot of money and received good service for the most part over

the years...let's get this solved!

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <