Applied OTA update and now phone doesn't work!
Baldcoder

I applied the OTA update offered this morning to my Droid RAZR MAXX.  After the phone rebooted, the screen was blank.

When I reboot now, I see the Motorola log and then nothing.  I can hear the boot sound, but I can't see anything.

I tried to reset the phone.  When I select the recovery option, the phone reboots and then shows the little android guy on his back with an exclamation point over him.  I continue on the the next menu and choose the factory reset/wipe data option.  After it successfully completes, I reboot.

All of this and I still don't have a working phone.

I took my phone to the local Verizion store and all they could tell me to do was contact Assurion and make an insurance claim.  I have a real problem with this considering it was Verizion's update that caused my phone to quit working.

Anyone have any ideas?

Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: Applied OTA update and now phone doesn't work!
Baldcoder

That should be Motorola Logo, not log.  Sorry about that.

0 Likes
Baldcoder

This is in the wrong location.  I have a DROID RAZR MAXX.

Sorry for the confusion.  I'll re-post there.  Please delete this one.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Are you attempting the reset through the phone settings or the manual hard reset?

Through the menu it is settings-privacy-factory data reset-reset phone-erase everything.

If you are unable to reach the main menu to go into settings you will need to perform the manual hard reset.

1. Power the phone off.

2. Press and hold the volume up/down key and then press and hold the power button.

3.When you see the boot menu release all buttons that you are holding.

4.Press the volume down key to choose recovery then press the volume up key.

5. From the droid triage screen press and hold the volume down key, then press and release the volume up key, then release the volume down key.

6.Choose wipe data/factory reset and then press the power button.

7.Choose yes to delete all user data and then press power button.

8.Choose reboot system now and then press the power button.

If this does not work/already what you have done then it is going to be a device issue that will need to be fixed by either a) calling motorola and seeing if they have a fix for it or b) going into a VZW store and having them update the software/flash the device if they agree to do that.

If nothing else works, defective device hopefully it's under warranty.

Good luck.

0 Likes
verizonmoderator1

>>This thread has been moved to the Droid Razr Maxx space and the duplicate post removed<<

0 Likes
DKUVA89

This happened to me as well . . . Any success yet?

0 Likes
Not_again_

Well, At least mine turns on but my 4G is extremely slow. Download at 0.53 MBPS Upload at 0.02 MBPS. This is all after the OTA update.

0 Likes
DKUVA89

I went to the Verizon store this morning and they said sorry, we can't help you.  We don't fix phones.  All we can do is sell you a new phone.  But they gave me Motorola's 800 number 800-734-5870.  They talked me through a couple of basic fixes from the startup boot menu (wipe cache partition) and sent me to their level 2.  There is heavy demand for their level 2 so I've been on hold for that for a while.  My guess is this OTA caused problems for many people.

0 Likes
DKUVA89

>>Post removed; discussion of rooting/hacking devices is prohibited on this forum.  Please review the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for doing all you have done to bring the phone back to life. We are so sorry that this has happened.
We can check the warranty replacement options for you.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes