Any recourse for a failed device?
mazy

Help. I upgraded to a Droid RazR in 2012 which never worked. Twice, it died and wiped out all data.  I abandoned it to stop the "bleeding" & had my old Blackberry reactivated for phone service. Is there any recourse or credit for a failed device I'm still paying for that prevents an upgrade until 06/14?  I have no faith in a Motorola device after this debacle, so I don't want another Motorola.  I love my old Blackberry, but it is old, the battery is failing, and I don't want to pay to maintain an old device when I pay for -- but get no benefit from -- an "upgraded" device.  I am willing to try most smartphones, but not Motorola at this point, and I want a keyboard.  So far, I've been told by Verizon store reps that I have to wait for my next upgrade which I can't believe is really true.  Very frustrating.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Any recourse for a failed device?
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Did you try to get it replaced during the warranty period?

Do you have insurance --- either through Asurion, a third party such as Square Trade, or homeowner's insurance?

Have you looked at other third party solutions for a new/used device? eBay, Craiglist, etc?

Have you looked at the CPO program?  http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/information/cpo_replacement.html

But to answer your last question, yes, you have to wait until your next upgrade if you wish to purchase a phone at a discounted price.  You can get a new phone at full retail price at anytime.

0 Likes
mazy

It was replaced once during the warranty period, but the second one was no different -- and it is a Droid 4, not a RazR, my mistake.  The second one also would not hold a battery charge, and it just blacked out and erased my data. 

I have loss insurance on the device, but I didn't lose it, I still have it, it just doesn't work and is a defective product.  And I have homeowners insurance as well, but again, I didn't lose it.

A third party solution doesn't change that I'm paying full freight for a product that has never worked.

I am not familiar with the CPO program, but I will check it out.

It is quite amazing to me that a business like Verizon does not back what it sells.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Manufacturer's are the ones who support the products they produce.

Verizon, as the cell SERVICE provider, does not "back" any devices that they do not manufacture.

Also, when the second one "would not hold a battery charge", that was the time to initiate a second warranty claim (if it was within the warranty period).  You would have needed to have them make the determination that it was "defective".  Note that just because the device "isn't working" does not by itself mean that the device is defective.

And lastly, third party solutions often provide replacements for devices that stop functioning after the warranty has expired.

Just some options for the future.

0 Likes
mazy

Gotchya -- letter of the law vs. spirit of the law.  I spend a lot of money with Verizon, and find them to be a wireless provider, not a SERVICE provider.  Perhaps I'd have been a more satisfied customer if someone as knowledgeable as you was working the store when it would have made a difference in my ability to use the equipment I'm paying for.

I hope the Droid 4 has improved.  If not, my advice to all is: don't buy one.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Spirit of the law is not enforceable , but the letter of the law is.

Verizon Wireless sells devices to their customers, they manufacturer nothing. They provide a warranty replacement service for the makers of the devices. Act as agent so you the customer do not have to deal with all the different device makers.

Verizon wireless sells you a wireless connection to their talk and data network. That is all.

Samsung, Motorola, NEC, HTC, Pantech, and Apple make and warrant their products.

You as the consumer should research the devices prior to buying or replacing them. The net has tons of information out tgere for you. http://www.phonescoop.com is a nice place to look, and Cnet is another good site.

Good Luck

0 Likes