Re: Android 4.4 KitKat Update Tracking - Motorola Razr Maxx HD
atticstorm
Enthusiast - Level 2

It will be good to get the update, the phone seems slow, and KitKat is all about running faster and cleaner.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Just to let the Thread know I took my Droid Maxx back to the store because of an Issue and since getting my new Replacement I have not updated to Kit Kat and my Maxx is actually doing better that is with Games I load and play and other uses so if the Jelly Bean Os is working good on your phone and your not having any issues I keep it as is for a While anyway until the some of issues I seen in it are calmed down.. But as for my I'm not updating for a while unless I really need it. b33

0 Likes
djysrv1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I suggest to recall the phrase "be careful what you wish for."  The experience with one of Verizon's first 4G phones, the late, and unlamented "Thunderbolt," is a case in point. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_ThunderBolt

The phone was offered to customers just as Verizon was rolling out its 4G network.  The phone frequently dropped sessions and in some big cities, like Washington, DC, had to be run as a 3G phone due to 4G tower spacing. 

That said after some firmware upgrades, and improvements in the 4G network, the Thunderbolt turned into a useful, if heavy device, with awkward extended battery and thick back.  About two-and-half years after its release, Verizon and the vendor (HTC) rolled out an upgrade from Android 2.2 to 2.3 resulting in significant performance issues. 

The ThunderBolt had a second generation 1Ghz Snapdragon processor manufactured by Qualcomm.  It simply didn't have the processing horsepower to keep up with Android advances. 

In short, what was at least a feasible phone, albeit heavy with the extended battery, became a slow poke in the 4G fast lane.

I upgraded to the Motorola HD Razr Maxx in soon after and was glad to see the end of the Thunderbolt.

Now the current phone that I have is running 4.1.2.  It works fine.  I read that in January 2014 when the first upgrades to Kitkat (Android 4.4) came out, it bricked the phone.  https://forums.motorola.com/posts/944892be33 

If I were you I'd see patience as a security blanket against the prospect of a dead phone or one that would make you more unhappy than you are now.

If you really want a device with Android 4.4, upgrade to one that already has it.

0 Likes
Weezy1121
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had firmware upgrades in the past to several different phones and never had a problem. Usually people have problems because their phone isn't fully charged or is in a weak signal area which can cause the data being downloaded to get corrupt or the phone dies or gets shut off in the middle of the download or install and messes up the upgrade. But if something does happen and I cant fix it or Verizon then I'll just buy a new phone..

0 Likes
ndragna
Enthusiast - Level 3

I heard that only the razr maxx hd was getting the kitkat update, not the razr or razr maxx.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

That is Correct only the new Family of Droids are Getting  'KIT KAT'  Droid M, Droid HD, Droid Maxx HD  Droid Mini,  Ultra, and the Droid Maxx)   the Droid Razr,  Droid Razr Maxx and the Droid 4 are not KIT KAT upgradable but there is a small maintenance update that is out that is suppose to address a Few issues with these Devices a Google search will point out this update..

0 Likes
ndragna
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah. the official ota for my device fixes some roaming issues in Canada, and one other meaningless thing. Oh well. Guess i'll update manually. Thanks for the clarification.

B33
Legend

your welcome.. b

0 Likes
Android 4.4 KitKat Update Tracking - Motorola Razr Maxx HD
Weezy1121
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I got this text from VZW today and it say's

Free VZW MSG. Get the latest Android OS 4.4 with KITKAT.

Update your isis wallet to kitkat now go.vzw.com/isiskitkat. A device restate may be required. Data rates apply.

So here I am all excited to get KITKAT finally so I click on the link and it takes me to google play store to download isis wallet which is dated dec 13 2013 and I already have it installed. But no OS KITKAT download. Even went to about phone and it says my device is up to date also plugged it into my laptop and used Device manager and it says I have the latest firmware.what a let down had me excited as heck and nothing downloads. Tell me were going to 6 flags get in the car "car starts" lololol I was just kidding, Smiley Sad

0 Likes
B33
Legend

On your Droid Maxx or Ultra if you don't have Kit Kat yet installed I wouldn't worry about it, As I've mentioned through this thread and another one I took my First Droid Maxx back to my Local Verizon as it was having issues after installing Kit Kat OS..

I'll add this in the K.Kat OS and the OS before it is somewhat big so when I do my installs I do it with a Fully charged battery and hooked up to my Wi-Fi to get the Best signal saying that. My updates went smoothly both of them I had a Customer Rep on the phone just to let the Rep. know how the procedure was going along and if i had any Questions..

But for as smoothly as Downloading of the 2 OS's went, I thought at first things were going to be Ok with my Maxx as it was before I done the Downloads but I seen difference's in it, Maybe If I'd cleared the cache and ran a Factory Reset as it's a good practice to do before a big update I held back on doing it and just took the Update but on my Maxx that I currently own I going to wait a bit before I do the Deed let things settle as I have before on previous updates.. So I thought I'd pass this along to ya and let choose the course to update or not update it.. b33

0 Likes