All the photos in my Droid Turbo are black
Kintala

I attached my Droid Turbo XT1254 to my daughter's computer via USB to upload some photos. Her computer said there were no photos in the DCIM folder. We tried via MPT and PPT but it wouldn't recognize the photo files. We ejected the phone and now all my photos in my camera roll are black squares. They are still there since I can hit the details selection and it describes each picture, but they all show up as black. I can take new pictures that show up, but all the pictures that were there prior to hooking up to USB are gone. I have deleted the cache and data in the app and restarted the phone to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: All the photos in my Droid Turbo are black
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Kintala,

My pictures are very important to me and I would be concerned too if this happened to them. This is very peculiar behavior coming from your phone. Let's see what is going on. Are you able to access your DCIM folder from a different computer? If you plug the phone into the computer now, does it make your most recent pictures turn black? Here is a link with instructions on how to transfer pictures from your phone to a computer: http://spr.ly/6582EO7ji

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Kintala

Christopher,

First, here are the exact details of what happened.

1. Pictures were all there in my phone.

2. Attached my phone to my daughter's HP computer via USB

3. Navigated to XT1254 folder then internal storage then DCIM

4. Received bad cfg message and no photos in folder

5. Ejected XT1254 from her computer properly

6. Checked phone and all photos were black.

I took a few more photos and they showed up in the Gallery but the older

photos still show as black boxes.

Today I

1. hooked the phone up to my Toshiba laptop via USB

2.selected transfer files from the swipe-down.

3. navigated to XT1254 then internal storage then DCIM

4. received the same bad cfg:

Tried it with USB debugging both on and off in case that was an issue. The

later photos I took are still there, the older ones are still black.

Clearly something happened in the connection to my daughter's computer that

corrupted the folder. By the way, it's only the Camera Roll that's

affected. All my other photos in the other photo folders are still visible.

Thanks

Deb

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 10:17 AM vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Were the photos backed up to Google Photos? It might be possible the Google Photos application was set up to archive photos after they're backed up to the cloud and then deleted from the device itself.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Kintala

Unfortunately they were not backed up to Google Photos. It appears that the

backups ended December of 2017 for some reason.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to see the photos were not backed up, Kintala. You have done quite a bit to gain access to the photos again. It's hard to say exactly what may have happened that is causing the photos to show up as a black box. 

Have you tried to back the photos up again since it didn't back up since December? We just don't want you to lose the newer photos. 

Are you able to share a picture of the bad cfg error you are receiving? I'm trying to determine if that is a bad configuration error that I have researched with Windows 10. 

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes