After installing the kitkat update, my screen will randomly stop responding.
alliegilly

I have to click the lock button to close the screen down. Sometimes it only happens once, sometimes it happens several times in a row. It happens when I am texting, on a web browser, etc.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: After installing the kitkat update, my screen will randomly stop responding.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying safe mode, alliegilly. The update is meant to be a great thing and you can absolutely use those extra apps. But sometimes the developers haven't caught up to the operating system and they clash without the app being updated too. Similar to computer programs when Windows would upgrade from Xp to Vista for example. It may just take some time for the application developers to get you a version that works. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to pinpoint which of the apps is causing the trouble. For now, you can try to simply uninstall a few of the applications out of Safe Mode at a time to see if it continues. You can also wipe the slate clean with a reset http://vz.to/18wzOCi then load one or two apps a day.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: After installing the kitkat update, my screen will randomly stop responding.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

alliegilly lets get your device running smoothly again! Have you made any changes to the device such as app downloads other than the update? Has there been any physical/water damage to the device?

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
alliegilly

This phone was an insurance replacement phone, so I did download all of my saved content and apps that I used before. I was having this issue all during the redownloading of content as soon as the kitkat update was downloaded and installed. I tried to pay attention to when it happened so I could give better detail. It happens ALOT when texting and when I am entering my pin for the screen lock. Also happens alot when I am setting preferences for my apps. The one place I haven't seen it happen is when I using any gaming apps.

0 Likes
alliegilly

And no physical/water damage I am aware of. I have it in an Otter Box case since that's how I ended up needing a replacement phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the info alliegilly! Do you use a special app for texting or for your keyboard? Or do you use the stock keyboard & texting apps?

Thank you,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
alliegilly

I use the stock keyboard and texting

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the details, alliegilly. Let's try placing your phone into Safe Mode. The steps are at http://vz.to/1gFmFxb. Please let us know if the phone continues to freeze using the stock apps while in Safe Mode.

JenniferH_VZW

0 Likes
alliegilly

So, even though I only use apps I get from the Google Play store and they are the same apps I have been using for the last year and a half and I didn't have a problem with my screen not responding BEFORE downloading the kitkat update, it could be the non-stock apps causing the problem? I'm in Safe Mode now and so far so good but really annoyed that I can't use my non-stock apps that I've ALWAYS used and never had a problem with until I downloaded the upgrade. I thought upgrades were suppose to improve/make things better, not cause problems? I'm not trying to be difficult, I appreciate the help but you can see why I'm irritated.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying safe mode, alliegilly. The update is meant to be a great thing and you can absolutely use those extra apps. But sometimes the developers haven't caught up to the operating system and they clash without the app being updated too. Similar to computer programs when Windows would upgrade from Xp to Vista for example. It may just take some time for the application developers to get you a version that works. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to pinpoint which of the apps is causing the trouble. For now, you can try to simply uninstall a few of the applications out of Safe Mode at a time to see if it continues. You can also wipe the slate clean with a reset http://vz.to/18wzOCi then load one or two apps a day.

JenniferH_VZW

0 Likes