Advanced Calling is horrible
Smoke-n-Squeal
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok I don't know how this went backwards but on my old Motorola Droid Razr I could use voice and data at the same time. If my signal was week the voice call would still be fine but I may drop data, no big deal. But now with this new Droid Turbo and the so called Advanced Calling I can't really use data and voice calls at the same time. If I do the voice calls are so distorted it's unusable. What's the point of this so called "Advanced Calling" if I can't use it while using my data connection as well. I use data and voice all the time with my Razr and never had this issued. This is a horrible design and to the point where I am close to looking for a new phone/service provider.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Advanced Calling is horrible
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Situations like this are one of the reasons why I don't bother to enable Advanced Calling on my line. I would rather have reliable calling then voice and data simultaneously if the call quality is reduced.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Smoke-n-squeal

It is important that you be able to have quality calls while using data on your Droid Turbo. The advanced calling feature was designed to enhance your experience with voice, not hinder it. Please confirm the zip code where you are using service. This will allow us for check for any possible issues with advanced calling in the area. Are you still able to make quality calls while using data if you turn advanced calling off?

SheritaH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Smoke-n-Squeal
Enthusiast - Level 3

The main location that I use this feature is 62061.

No with out the Advanced calling on it kicks my signal to 1x and I can't use data at all.

0 Likes
Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

You're going to have a hard time going to another new device as almost all of them now have the same design with Advanced Calling, such as the Samsung Galaxy S6.  I doubt there will be many more devices with the "old" configuration coming out. 

mogulman

I actually came to this forum to complain.   I guess people beat me to it.  I came from a Moto X (2013) where I could do simultaneous voice/data without any problems.

Just recently got a Droid Turbo.  In every way the phone is better, except..  Advanced calling.

Without Advanced Calling, I can't do simultaneous voice/data.  With advanced calling turned on, voice quality blows.

This is in the Denver area around the Denver Tech Center C-470/E-470 area.

I got used to using voice/data on the Moto X.  Now I can't.  So switch to an old phone or switch providers?

0 Likes
Smoke-n-Squeal
Enthusiast - Level 3

Davidoo, Ya that's what I figured. It's the way Verizon "designed" their network it's not the phone's fault. AT&T never had this issue. I thought Verizon really took a step forward when I was able to do this with my Razr but now it's gone back to sucking.

0 Likes
Smoke-n-Squeal
Enthusiast - Level 3

mogulman, my work around is getting a google number and using that. Most of my calls while I use data are into conference calls for work. So I'm usually using data fairly heavy with presentations. But the con calls have a 8xx number so it's toll free. So I use my hangouts to call through my google number. So far it's been 1000x better than this "Advance" crap.

0 Likes
Asmrtsistah
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased S6 edge 13 days ago and can I tell you this Advance Calling feature is BEYOND horrible.  To the point I am about to return the phone and take all 4 of my lines to AT&T get an S5 and with the capability I am accustomed to.  My biggest issue with this is not once did the salesperson say anything about this feature and what functionality it would stop.  He also did not turn it on as he activated my phone... (Mind you I had to return the original device because it was setup totally wrong... but that in itself is another story) Not being able to use voice and data like I have for many years is ridiculous.  Why would Verizon think this is an enhancement at all.  It is more of a complete inconvenience than any enhancement.  And it is apparent we as customers have two choices deal with it or do without it.  Had I been made aware of this before purchasing any new phone I would have chosen to find a newer phone that did not remove this capability.  Then I have since discovered that purchased ringback tones and jukeboxes I created with those tones also are not compatible and that I now cannot even use them anymore due to this feature.  Is Verizon refunding the cost for ringback tone or even ringtones purchased previously?  Am I stuck with no ringtone or ringback tone customization?    I have been a customer for 13 years and this is the WORST experience I have ever had with Verizon.  Never thought about leaving but this has me leaning that way. For now I will pick a choice and see if I can deal with it.  Not good Verizon!

bdstx4
Contributor - Level 1

There is so much you left out of your response. The advanced calling feature only helps if both parties are VZW phones

and have the feature enabled. After enabling it for myself a couple months ago, I experienced a dropped voice call after a very few minutes consistently. So I had to turn the feature off. But it did allow simultaneous Voice and Data. Just probably would drop the Voice call after 3-10 minutes whether you were trying to simultaneous use Data or not.