AOL eMail - Invalid credentials
rhsmith0302

The username and password I use to connect to AOL eMail works on my PC and on my phone (Droid Razr) if I connect through the Internet. When I first got my phone, it work with the Droid eMail app too, but all of the sudden it stopped working and I get a message "Invalid Credentials". Even when I try to remove the account I can't because I get the message "Invalid Credentials".

Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem??

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: AOL eMail - Invalid credentials
LRN2RIDE
Enthusiast - Level 2

reckless...your temp solution worked perfectly for my AOL and g-mail!!! Thank you!!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Clayton1

My AOL account has the sampe issue and it just happend on my Droid 4. I am searching all over. Verizon techs did not know. AOL is AOL!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Give these Instructions from Motorola A look an see if they can Help Ya out.. And good luck to both of ya.!  b33 Smiley Happy

How can I manually setup AOL or AIM email account on my DROID?

We have listed both IMAP and POP3 set-up for AOL.com and Aim.com email providers. Use only AOL server names for AOL accounts and only AIM server names for AIM email accounts; port numbers and security are the same for both providers.

To setup AOL/AIM as an IMAP account on your DROID :

To setup AOL or AIM on your DROID once you have already set-up your handset, follow directions below. If you are adding the account during your handset's initial startup, skip down to Set-up account menu (Instruction #3).

1. Open Applications tray, touch My Accounts
  2. Select Add Account
  3. You will be at the Set-Up accounts menu with several other social network icons.
  4. Select Email icon
  5. Enter your full AOL/AIM email address, including "@aol.com" or "@aim.com" domain name in all lower case.
  6. Enter AOL/AIM password.
  7. Leave Automatically configure account checked.
  8. Tap on Next. Handset will connect to your email server and state "Success!" if account was set-up correctly.

Your account is now set-up. Please test sending and receiving an email.

During the connection, you may be asked to complete a manual set-up if your email provider is not recognized, your email address/password is incorrect, or if your email provider has restrictions on mobile email set-up. Please check with your email provider to obtain all the information above. You will need your POP3 or IMAP port and server settings to complete a Manual set-up. If you have this information ready, proceed to next section regarding Manual setup.

If prompted for manual setup, touch Manual setup. You can also get into manual setup by un-checking Automatically configure account after you entered your email address and password.

If you need to do a manual set-up, touch Manual setup

1. Touch General Settings, confirm information in all General Settings fields are correct. Make any necessary changes, then select OK to exit this menu.
  2. Touch Incoming Server.
  3. Select IMAP
  4. Enter IMAP server - imap.aol.com or imap.aim.com
  5. Check active Use Secure connection and Verify Certificate
  6. Enter Port - 993 (or 143)
  7. Enter /confirm your username (try complete email address including the @aol.com or aim.com)
  8. Enter /confirm your AOL/AIM password
  9. Tap on OK
  10. Select Outgoing Server
  11. Enter outgoing IMAP server - smtp.aol.com or smtp.aim.com
  12. Check Use Secure connection and Verify Certificate
  13. Enter Port - 465 (or 587)
  14. No IMAP path prefix
  15. Enter or just confirm your Username (complete email address including the @aol.com or aim.com) if already displayed
  16. Enter or just confirm your AOL/AIM Password if already displayed.
  17. Tap on OK
  18. Tap on Other Settings
  19. Select date range of mail to be pulled to handset. (1 week old, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, Never Delete Messages)
  20. Tap on OK
  21. Tap on OK again to submit AOL/AIM set-up.

Your account is now set-up. Please test sending and receiving an email.

To setup AOL as a POP3 account on your DROID :

1. Touch General Settings, confirm information in all General Settings fields are correct. Make any necessary changes, then select OK to exit this menu.
  2. Touch Incoming Server.
  3. Select POP Mail Server
  4. Enter POP3 server - pop.aol.com
  5. Check Use Secure connection and Verify Certificate
  6. Enter Port 995
  7. Enter / Confirm your Username (use complete email address including the @aol.com)
  8. Enter / Confirm your AOL Password
  9. Tap on OK
  10. Select Outgoing Server
  11. Enter SMTP server - smtp.aol.com
  12. Check Use Secure connection and Verify Certificate
  13. Enter Port - 587
  14. Enter or just confirm your Username (complete email address including the @aol.com) if already displayed
  15. Enter or just confirm your AOL/AIM Password if already displayed.
  16. Tap on OK
  17. Tap on Other Settings
  18. Select date range of mail to be pulled to handset. (1 week old, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, Never Delete Messages)
  19. Tap on OK
  20. Tap on OK again to submit AOL set-up.

Your POP3 account is now set-up. Please test sending and receiving an email.

You will not be able to view sent items in your SENT folder for AOL accounts on the DROID.

If email does not connect after using settings listed above and confirming correct password, try entering AOL username without "@aol.com" or "@aim.com".

You can visit AOL's help page on this subject by clicking here

For optimum features and functionality, AOL recommends accessing your email account via your handset's mobile web browser. Enter http://m.mail.aol.com in your handset's browser or visit http://mobile.aol.com to get instructions.

0 Likes
CS_Baldwin

I just received my new Razr Maxx yesterday.  I connected my gmail and live.com (hotmail) to it and it worked beautifully.  I woke up this morning and went to check it and it said on both that It couldn't refresh.  So I had to check settings.  I had to reenter my password and it says "Invalid Credentials".  It does this for live.com as well as gmail.com emails.  What the Heck!!!  Worked fine yesterday.  And I have had the same password for quite a long time.

To clear my emails off I went to settings on phone and chose applications.  There you can go into all applications, find email and clear the cache on the email app.  Then when you go back its like you are doing it all over again.  I did this and now when I go to try and redo my emails... it still says Invalid Credentials.... but at least I am not getting a push message saying my email isnt working

0 Likes
reckless0199
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue and found a temp solution on another thread if you want your aol loaded to your phone

go to your email app. now click on your aol and then click new account

then in the set up accouts click email accounts

Click on other NOT aol  and enter your account information .

I  haven't figure out how to resolve the invaild Cred issue, but this is a  simpler way to access your aol. 

Hopefully someone can tell us how to reslove this issue I tried to delet this but it won't allow me to delete the account either. 

danem72

having the same issue. i have read that the upgrade to ice cream sandwich will correct the problem which should be any day now. until then all of the major email providers have apps for their email which work just fine on my phone.

0 Likes
danem72

Have tried your suggestions and no matter what i try still get the invalid credentials error message. won't even let me delete the accounts. but the individual apps for each account work fine. i have read that the upgrade to android 4 will fix the issue with the messaging app.

0 Likes
LRN2RIDE
Enthusiast - Level 2

reckless...your temp solution worked perfectly for my AOL and g-mail!!! Thank you!!!

0 Likes
danem72

Your Welcome. The upgrade should be available any day now. I called tech support and they were no help. 

0 Likes
B33
Legend

reckless0199:  When your doing this are you going to your Accounts then once your in there Tap the AOL then it showes the Email Account then did you scroll the page up a bit to were Remove Account Shows up. Once you tap that then you can go ahead an select Ok to remove the Email account or Cancel to Back out.. from that Section..

0 Likes