ANOTHER DISAPPOINTMENT - Vehicle Navigation Device
JJAC2843
Enthusiast - Level 2

The adhesive for the disk that attaches to the vehicle is OK - the disk is still there. But the adhesive that attaches the outerdisk for implanting the suction cup will not stick. So I cannot mount the device. I don't see how to correct the situation, and I don't see how to get it replaced. So for now it is junck - expensive junk, that is, and useless. It seemed like it might be nice during the one trip where it was mounted, but after that it became junk. Any ideas on what to do about this? There is a VZ "Store" a few blocks from here, but the last time I was there all I got was blank stares. Maybe I will try again. Please let me know if there is a remedy for this nonsense. The enire experiment with the "smart" phone is costing me both time and money and I am short on both. It may make sense just to chuck all of it. The sales people were obviously pretty effective.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: ANOTHER DISAPPOINTMENT - Vehicle Navigation Device
B33
Legend

Call 3M! The Tape is Called PE FOAM Double Sided Tape an is in a Disk Shape You can also Google it on the Web. One thing with Double Sided Tape Were you Put it Needs to Cleaned Very Well an when you stick it on There it Needs to Set Up over night Before you stick that Suction Cup on it..

One other thing You can Do Go to a Lows or Home or Ace Hardware an Look for 3M VHB Tape it's a High Strength Double Sided Bonding Tape it will Cost around $7.00 bucks but it's Worth it. They use to Sell it at Radio Shack but i don't know if they still Do But one of those Hardware should Have it. An you Can cut the Strips to fit the Disk. But before you put them on there take the old Tape Off then Clean it with 70% Rubbing Alcohol a or Prep Pad To get Maximum stick to the Round Disk..Ok let me know how it Turns out.. b33 Smiley Happy 

0 Likes
JJAC2843
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. The part that adheres to the dashboard is fine – in fact if I need to replace it I am at a loss on how to remove it. The suction cup also seems OK for now. But there is a third part that is intermediate between the disk on the dash and the suction cup. It is a disk with one dull surface and one shiny surface. I think the shiny surface is the face for the suction cup, and the dull surface is to adhere to the disk that is already attached to the dashboard. The problem is that the secondary disk (the intermediary between the suction cup and the dashboard disk) will not stick to the disk on the dash. I’ll see if I can make whatever they send me work OK, and if not then I will try double-sided tape. What is infuriating is that I have major disruptions with this entire business in the first month of service, having spent a larger chunk of money than I should and anticipating spending huge gobs of money on a contract for years to come. Maybe it will be worth it someday, but right now my main thoughts about VZW and MOTO , Google, and the lot are that I can do without the aggravation considering how much it all costs. The experience reminds me of the Chevrolet Vega that I once enthusiastically bought in a fervent burst of Nixon-inspired patriotism.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

As i said if it Does Come off you'll be Ok as long as the Round Plastic Disc is intact Meaning Not Cracked or chipped All you Need to Do is Pull it up from the Dash Clean the Double Sided tape off & Clean the Back sided of the plastic Disc with Rubbing Alcohol an the Dash then Re-install the Tape back on it. You'll be Good to Go it's not Rocket Science it Very Simple an you can still use it. Okie Dokie Smiley Happy b33

0 Likes
JJAC2843
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received the replacement unit today and realized what the issue was. The three pieces are (a) one round piece of double sided tape, of which one side faces the car and the other side faces the user via (b) a mounting disk which is already attached to the user-facing side of the tape, and (c) the suction cup on the rod to be connected to the device. The problem was that the car-facing side of the double sided tape was adhering to the car with no trouble, but the adhesive failed on the user-facing side (attached to the disk for mounting the suction cup). What I thought was a disk was in fact the double sided tape, of which one side failed to adhere. If the new one comes apart I will try your method, but without pulling it off the dash – when I pulled the old piece off it lost its shape and could no longer be used. Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Your Surly Welcome b33 Smiley Happy

0 Likes