wi fi questions and mobile network
franny63
Contributor - Level 1

How come, when I am connected to Wi-Fi at work, everything is fine. But, if I am connected on  Wi-Fi at home, I cannot connect at all to my facebook or internet, unless I disconnect Wi-Fi and connect only to my mobile network?

0 Likes
Re: wi fi questions and mobile network
budone
Legend

Do you have any exceptions set up on your home router???  ie sites you or someone have blocked from having access to.

0 Likes
franny63
Contributor - Level 1

no, not that I know of. I set it up. I go on my facebook on my computer all the time.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

OK, is the router password protected, security enabled????  What security is used on your router??? (WPA, WPA2, .....) Also, some routers one to allow users by their MAC address so the phone may not be allowed into the router.

0 Likes
franny63
Contributor - Level 1

My phone says I am connected to the wi-fi when I am home. What should I be looking for comparing phone and my computer and how?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

From the main screen, Clcik on MENU>SETTINGS>WIRELESS & NETWORK. Under WIFI Setting options, does the connection show a lock??? If so is this where it shows you are connected???

Whether there is a lock or not, you may be connected but you still may need to have your MAC address in the approved list. Are you the one who set up the home router???

Also when connected, how many bars are showing for the WiFi connection.

0 Likes
franny63
Contributor - Level 1

I will check at home.(I am work now)  I remember saying it was connected. Asked for a password at the time which I did, so I know it was conencted. In fact, looks the same as here at work. Signal strenth is great. work and home. I did set up the home router, what do you mean by a MAC address. maybe totally unrelated, but its IE all the way here.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

A MAC Address is A Media Access Control address (MAC address) a unique identifier assigned to network interfaces for communications on the physical network segment. addresses or block specific address.

I would also unplug the router for a minute, shut off your phone, power up the router, then the phone and see if you can access web pages.

0 Likes
franny63
Contributor - Level 1

I will check when I get home. How can I tell with the MAC address? I didn't block anything on my router, just plugged it in to get it started. Its one of those Valet Plus wireless routers with my verizon wired router.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Work does not have any restriction aside for entering a passcode.

Are you the person who set up the home router?

I would when you get home is delete the connection on your phone and start over. Be sure to not only enter the correct password, but you should be asked also what type of protection is on the router.... WEP, WPA, WPA2

UPDATE. Ignore all I have said, ........I think I have found the issue. The Valet + is a Wireless N.   The Inc nor any other Droid that I know of is compatible with N. Droids are B or G Compatible. Most routers usually offer B&G or N.  I bet that is the issue.

0 Likes