usb tether
Jay2l4u

i just got froyo and was wondering about the tether which i heard droid wasn't suppose to get.. how does it work do you just hood it up to your laptop or desktop and you ready to roll or what???

0 Likes
Re: usb tether
Not applicable
You first go into settings - Wireless and networks, and turn it on. Plug into your usb port and go into your browser. It will take you to Verizon where you can sign up for 2 GB for $20 per month.
0 Likes
Re: USB tether
Jay2l4u

So basically we have to pay the 39 for the unlimited data and an additional 20 for just the tether......I hope Verizon is reading the when I say that B.S. This is the kind of crap why people cancel and go with a different provider or root there phone. But hey i guess thats the way the world goes round companies and people screwing each other over..!

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2
It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. The 29.99 "unlimited" data plan has never included tethering. The only exception is the hotspot on the Pre Plus and that's due to sales being in the toilet and they just want to get rid of the phone. And if someone cancels over the tethering charge, they're going to be disappointed when they find out the others do it to.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Exactly. Nobody should have expected free tethering. Look at the Plans listed above and you will see that tethering a smartphone is listed as 2 GB for $20 on top of your $29.99 data plan. The only change is now, evidently, the Droid can be tethered.
0 Likes
Jay2l4u

Win lose situation then huh..Just let the big corp. take all your money...well atleast data is unlimited

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

ha, even the data isn't truly unlimited.  Verizon can terminate you for abusing their network with high usage (who knows where that point is) or can likely assume that you're using a 3rd party app and tethering against your TOS if you use a large amount of bandwidth.  

0 Likes
NorCalDroid2010

Even after contacting Verizon I'm still confused...!  I have the original Motorola Droid and I received the new froyo update this morning, after going through the new features I discovered that I had a Tether option.  I hooked it up to my laptop and checked it and got a screen saying that I had to call Verizon at their 800 number.  The regular customer service folks couldn't help me out saying that my account didn't show that I could tether my phone so I was referred to a special tech, and he told me that my phone couldn't use that feature, however he recommended an app.  After downloading the free app, it works fine but the speed isn't the same as when I attempted to use the tether option off the phone.  Anyone else out there told the original Motorola Droid can't use the tether option?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

ha.  Wouldn't surprise me that Verizon released an update with a feature you can't even use cause they couldn't find a way to track it.  And wonder how long it'll take the mods here to edit out the 3rd party tethering app from your post.  They're way too trigger happy around here.  It's funny that Verizon reps will recommend the apps but any mention of them gets deleted on here.

0 Likes
Not applicable
I don't know that anyone was told they could or couldn't tether the Droid with 2.2. Most of us assumed we might be able to, but we would have to pay $20 for 2 GB. Some people were hoping they could tether for free, but that was not gonna happen. If you look at the tethering plans offered by Verizon and the phones that can be tethered, the Droid is not listed. So, I'm not surprised that Verizon told you that you could not tether. There are some 3rd party apps that can be used to tether, but do so at your own risk. We're not allowed to discuss them on this site because using them is a violation of your TOS.
0 Likes