turn off all possible data when traveling
tangerine3

Hi we are going to be traveling out of the U.S. and I do not want any roaming data charges whatsoever.  The phone is CDMA only.  The place we are going will sometimes have CDMA coverage but mostly GSM.  So i'm afraid if the phone is one and we hit a CDMA coverage spot things might download data like apps running in the background.  So other than turning off data while roaming is there anything else that I should know about like how will i know if some apps are constantly downloading something in the background and how can I stop them.  Or does that also stop when I turn off data while roaming.  Thanks first smartphone so all this is somewhat new to me.

0 Likes
Re: turn off all possible data when traveling
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

To all disable data access do this:

Settings> Battery & data manager> Data delivery> Uncheck "Data enabled".  It won't hurt to uncheck "Background data" and "Data roaming" as well, but I think that disabling "Data enabled" turns it off already.

When you uncheck "Data enabled" the "3G" or "4G" symbol (which indicates a data connection) should disappear from the top bar, leaving only the basic signal-strength bars.

I did this myself just this week, but for a different reason:  I was in a situation where I couldn't charge my phone for over 24 hours (due to poor planning on my part), and I needed to preserve the battery in order to receive/make some important calls...so I sacrificed the power-draining data connection.

0 Likes