software update
lisa12345

My phone had attempted a software update. Now it wont load and has an application error. Even with force close it tries to update, then still goes to the force close. I cannot access anything on my phone now.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: software update
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

@lisa12345, can you describe what you are referring to as a software update? Is it an update notification from the Market (which uses an icon with a small bot in it) or is it an update notification for the system (which uses an icon that looks like a triangle with an exclamation in it).

If it is the first one, there is some app on your phone which is trying to update and it is misbehaving. Try to uninstall the offending app and see if the problem goes away.

If it is the second one, you will eventually have to let it download and complete. There is no way to avoid the system software update (unless you were to root and use a custom rom).

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

It sounds like you may have some apps that is causing issues with the update, are you recieving any errors when the update fails?

Also you can try booting into Safe Mode and see it update can complete...

POWER DEVICE OFF and then follow instructions below...

1. Press and hold down the Power Key
    Power key
  2. Select Power Off.
    Power off
  3. Select OK.
    OK to confirm

0 Likes
lisa12345

I have turned off/on, restarted, and took the battery out. It always picks up where it left off... accomplishing nothing. How can I cancel/stop this download?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Once the update is started it will not be able to stop until update is completed...  Safe Mode is more than powering off and on it disables all 3rd party app...

You still havent gave any info on any errors recieved...  Are you seeing any?

0 Likes
lisa12345

"The application HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again {box} = Force Close."

If I click force close, it takes it back to continue download. If I dont click it, it continues to try and download.

0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

@lisa12345, can you describe what you are referring to as a software update? Is it an update notification from the Market (which uses an icon with a small bot in it) or is it an update notification for the system (which uses an icon that looks like a triangle with an exclamation in it).

If it is the first one, there is some app on your phone which is trying to update and it is misbehaving. Try to uninstall the offending app and see if the problem goes away.

If it is the second one, you will eventually have to let it download and complete. There is no way to avoid the system software update (unless you were to root and use a custom rom).

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

they are pushing gingerbread to the incredible so i suspect her incredible was recieving it.

0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3
I know but this was posted a few days ago, and there aren't any confirmed recipients for the gingerbread update that I know of yet. Hence the cautionary approach! Smiley Happy
0 Likes
johnt519
Sure there are. Check android forums.com there are people who got it, complete with screenshots.
0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

@johnt519, please post a couple of links here from where ever you are checking that shows that there are people who already got the OTA. I personally have yet to find one myself. Not saying that you are wrong, but help me find one.

Besides the point, I am trying to help this user with what possible scenarios could be happening and what should he/she look for. It does not do any good jumping to conclusion that the problem has to have arised from an OTA.

Thanks.

0 Likes