"Car Dock" the app
alocksley

The app "Car Dock" that appears in the field of apps....what's it supposed to do?

Any button I push causes the phone to lock up...

What's it supposed to do?

Thanks...

0 Likes
Re: "Car Dock" the app
deaddolly

It kind of magnifies the calling options and let's you add one-touch call favorites.  Good for ppl like me who drive a lot and need galsses for reading.  Makes the icons bigger and easier to touch when driving (aka when you shouldn't be calling anyone).

:robottongue:

I use it a lot.

0 Likes
DefiantBlob
Enthusiast - Level 3

The "Car Dock" app just puts the phone into car mode, the same as if you put it into a physical dock inside your car.

If you haven't used it in a dock before it basically just puts fewer buttons on a custom screen for the car dock. Things like navigation voice search and music player. Its purpose it to declutter the screen to make it easier to use on the go. I have no idea why you would need an app to put it into this mode as it switches automagicaly when put into a car dock, so you can ignore the app.

0 Likes
deaddolly

I don't have a car dock, hence love the app.

0 Likes
DefiantBlob
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, that makes sense since you want simple while driving. If I don't want to use the dock while driving, or when I'm lazy, I just press and hold the physical search key on the phone; that brings up voice search. By using the commands (Call <name>, Navigate to <name or address>, ect...) your phone will call or route you to a place without so much as a press of the keyboard. Give that a try, it might be easier to drive, it is for me. I also have gotten addicted to dictating text messages, I feel silly doing it though, since i could just call and say the same thing...haha

0 Likes
letsrock927
Enthusiast - Level 1

I love the docking station.......It works well.  Its basically a GPS unit type system.  Looks great with station.

I suggest you get one.  The Google maps app, works well.  The Navigation app is awesome!!!  I was on my way to the movies on the other side of town.  I use the Nav app for first time, and use speak text and said, the name of the theatre.  And boom, it had the map in route on the Droid X..In route to the theatre.  With voice speak in effect as we got closer.  I also used my dock station to listen to Pandora thru my cassette player.  Just used a adapter to hook to the Droid X.  I was listening to my fav genre of music, Tejano sounds.  I can't that on my XM radio anymore.  So I thank this wonderful phone.  Im loving every minute of it.  My first droid phone ever.  So get the accessories that u can.  I got the car one.  Enjoy!!!!!

0 Likes
Droidxgurl
Enthusiast - Level 3

letsrock927 wrote:

I love the docking station.......It works well.  Its basically a GPS unit type system.  Looks great with station.

I suggest you get one.  The Google maps app, works well.  The Navigation app is awesome!!!  I was on my way to the movies on the other side of town.  I use the Nav app for first time, and use speak text and said, the name of the theatre.  And boom, it had the map in route on the Droid X..In route to the theatre.  With voice speak in effect as we got closer.  I also used my dock station to listen to Pandora thru my cassette player.  Just used a adapter to hook to the Droid X.  I was listening to my fav genre of music, Tejano sounds.  I can't that on my XM radio anymore.  So I thank this wonderful phone.  Im loving every minute of it.  My first droid phone ever.  So get the accessories that u can.  I got the car one.  Enjoy!!!!!

What adapter are you using to listen through the stereo?  The earphone style plug that came with it won't work in my car as I do not have that type of an input...

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I have tried a app (Dock Simulator) from the market to be able to activate the desktop and card dock option without using a actual dock when I use a universal holder with my case on device since I have because bothered with having to remove case to use docks... Has anyone else tried this and what do you think of it, I think it has its plus and minuses from using original docks.

0 Likes