one thing I like more about Droid 2 than the Droid X
dsxdroider

While quickly checking out the Droid 2 in a Verizon store today, I noticed one thing about it that I like (very much) more than my Droid X.

--

On my Droid X, when I turn the X on its side to type text, I frequently hit buttoms surrounding the phone by mistake, such as the dedicated camera button, or one of the dedicated buttons on the bottom of the X when it is sitting/standing upright. Hitting these buttons by mistake while typing often takes me out of the text box that I was typing into (the back button will take me back to whatever I was doing previously, the home button will take me to my homescreen/main wall or whatever, and so on).

--

Can people tell me how to disable some or all of these buttons while typing with the X on its side?

--

The reason I like the Droid 2 more in this regard is that when you push the main screen forward to reveal the physical keyboard, all of the dedicated buttons move forward with the whole part (seemingly half) of the Droid screen that contains these dedicated buttons - the housing that contains the dedicated buttons moves forward and out of the way in order to reveal the physical keyboard.

--

When typing on the Droid 2 physical keyboard, there are no dedicated buttons surrounding the keyboard for you accidentally to press while typing. On the Droid X, it seems that while typing on the virtual keyboard, all of the dedicated buttons remain in place and derail my typing efforts if I accidentally press these buttons while typing.

--

Does anyone know a work-around for this alleged problem? Can I somehow turn off some or all of the dedicated buttons while typing with the Droid X on its side?

-- Although the difference might be small in terms of percentage, the larger screen on the Droid X really makes a big difference to me. So I still love the Droid X for this and other reasons. Can anyone help me out with the problem described above for which the Droid 2 seems to be a solution?

0 Likes
Re: one thing I like more about Droid 2 than the Droid X
andrewbarron
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does anyone know a work-around for this alleged problem? Can I somehow turn off some or all of the dedicated buttons while typing with the Droid X on its side?

-- Although the difference might be small in terms of percentage, the larger screen on the Droid X really makes a big difference to me. So I still love the Droid X for this and other reasons. Can anyone help me out with the problem described above for which the Droid 2 seems to be a solution?

No you can't shut off the dedicated buttons...but I guess i dont understand why you keep hitting them.

I would try swyping.  I was a darn fast typer on my BB Storm...but holy schmoly...I can swype like lightning.

0 Likes
dsxdroider

I do not hit the dedicated buttons on purpose. When I turn the X on its side to type with two hands, my hands wrap around the X while my fingers hit various keys. Almost always, just holding the X while typing causes the accidental depression of one or more of those dedicated buttons (by the parts of my hands that are wrapped around the X). On the Droid 2, you can hold the physical keyboard and wrap your hands around it while you type without any risk of hitting any dedicated buttons. On the Droid 2, the dedicated buttons getting shifted upward with the rest of that half/part of the phone when you push it forward to reveal the Droid 2 physiical keyboard.

--

Maybe I will get the swing of swyping - it hasnt happened yet but maybe soon. However, I will still have to hold the X the majority of the time that I am typing the usual way or swyping. Perhaps everyone else can hold their X's and type without accidentally hitting dedicated buttons that stop them from typing - such as launching the camera, bringing up the homescreen, etc. Am I the only one who experiences this?

0 Likes
ImStepen

I hear hand and eye coordination works well for that pushing the wrong buttons thing.

Good Luck to you.

0 Likes
vicw926a4

You might consider a Verizon shell/holster for the DX.  I find it much easier to get a comfortable grasp and better control of the DX while typing with it in the case, rather than naked, without having to put too much pressure anywhere near the camera button, or the hard keys. 

Good Luck.

0 Likes