moto x wont come on
mackita8158

got gingerbread update day before yesterday. phone was fine and worked perfectly. suddenly phone wont stay on. red eye comes on then goes black. took a battery out several times same thing. how do I get phone to stay on? is battery suddenly defective?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: moto x wont come on
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Sounds like the OP can't even boot up the phone. If that is the case you have a couple of options. I would start with booting to SAFE MODE - if you can get this far, it is likely an APP that is causing your issue.  Next step would be a WIPE CACHE, then lastly a FACTORY RESET.

to get into SAFE MODE:

- Power off

- Press and HOLD the MENU button

- Press POWER UP, continue to HOLD MENU button

After about 1 mins., it should come up saying SAFE MODE in lower left corner.

If this is successful and is no longer hanging, time to start reviewing & uninstalling APPS until problem is solved.

To get out of Safe Mode, power off & on as usual.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

Have you recently added any apps after you updated to GB? Try deleting those apps. It could just be that a certain app doesn't sit well with GB yet. If you find which one it is, I'd suggest writing to the maker and they will make an update that is supported by GB.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Sounds like the OP can't even boot up the phone. If that is the case you have a couple of options. I would start with booting to SAFE MODE - if you can get this far, it is likely an APP that is causing your issue.  Next step would be a WIPE CACHE, then lastly a FACTORY RESET.

to get into SAFE MODE:

- Power off

- Press and HOLD the MENU button

- Press POWER UP, continue to HOLD MENU button

After about 1 mins., it should come up saying SAFE MODE in lower left corner.

If this is successful and is no longer hanging, time to start reviewing & uninstalling APPS until problem is solved.

To get out of Safe Mode, power off & on as usual.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks Cody for your help! 

I will give steps for an alternate hard reset if you are unable to boot the phone into safe mode. 

Factory Reset option 2 (Froyo 2.2)  - Warning this will reset device back to original factory settings.

1. Turn off the phone
  2. Press Power + Home at the same time  
    1. User may also press and hold Power + Home + Volume Down until display shows android triage screen
  3. You should see "!" in a triangle with Android guy
  4. Press the search hardkey - this will unhide the menu and show the following options 
    1. Reboot system Now
    2. Apply sdcard:update.zip
    3. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    4. Wipe Cache Partition
  5. Use VOL Down key to scroll down to "Wipe Data/Factory Reset", press camera key to select option and wipe device.
0 Likes
mackita8158

Power + home does nothing. phone is back on but everyother day freezes. have to take battery out many times before it works. It doesn't matter what program I am using. some times I have phone connected to computer. sometimes I take it off the charger. It cuts off or freezes. Can I go back to froyo without deleting my data?

0 Likes