RonAnderson
The lag returning to the home screen while leaving the stock browser, angry birds, stock text, and a few mobile web sites is driving me nuts. It was only seconds now it turns into minutes.

I have 60mb free on internal storage. I have factory data reset, with a reformat of the SD card, that helped for a few weeks but it has gotten worse since I have done that.

My cashe has been cleared, as well as my texts and my old phone calls.

I am on my stock 2.2.1 OG droid. I do not have this problem with my rooted OG Droid. I have tried everything this electronic tech can think of and it does not help. Is it finally time to root this Droid as well? Or just get rid of it all together being that Motorola is not going to sell unlocked phones anymore so vzw can put things I do not want or use on a phone so they can make more money!

Thanks
Ron
0 Likes
Re: lag
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Sounds like RAM is the problem not internal storage.  Android is basically killing the launcher to recover memory and is usually most notable if you're doing something in landscape.  Believe the 3rd party launchers like ADW and Launcher Pro have an option to keep the launcher in memory.  There should also be an option to turn off rotation for the launcher which should help.

0 Likes
RonAnderson
It has never happened in landscape mode, only while the phone is horizontal. And I've had the same apps in here as I've always had. I have taken apps out and the lag is still present.
0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Try clearing the browser history, deleting unwanted text and email  messages, and then restoring the stock browser defaults.  Then power the device off, remove the battery for 1 minute, then put it back in and power the device on, and dial *228 send and option 1 on the device.

0 Likes
RonAnderson
Android10. I have cleared the cache and unwanted everything I do that once a week every week. As well as removing the battery once a week. If you would've read my whole post you would've found out I already did what you suggested. The lag came back two weeks after I factory reset, reformatted the SD card, and whatever else my tech skills thought would help.

What would dialing star 228 have to do with the price of tea in China? How would updating my roaming capabilities help with a lag that is caused by the operating system?
0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Its just a basic trouble shooting step to ensure the phone has the most updated service information.  Frequent PRL updates can sometimes improve the signal strength on the device, and keep it from searching for service and having a  fluctuating signal. That will improve overall performance.

0 Likes
RonAnderson
Home screen and app drawer lag has nothing to do with the signal strength. I could turn off the phone 3g and have no wifi, play a game only and it would still lag coming back to the home screen.

But to answer your question I do use the 228 every other month or so.

Ron
0 Likes
tattooed_pariah

Rather than start a new thread for the same problem, I'm gonna piggy back on this one..

Backstory:

I bought my droid in January 2010, used it for 2 months before an 8 month deployment, it worked fine, no problems at all. Got back into the states from the deployment and had to get a replacement because my droid refused to download the OS update, it refused to even admit that it had an old version. There was no way to force the update so they just replaced my phone.

My first replacement lasted about 30 minutes. that's how long it took me to need to use it as a phone and discover that my blue tooth headset worked, but the microphone wouldn't work in handset or speakerphone modes.

Replacement two lasted a couple of weeks before I also began experiencing this terrible lag. I'd unlock my screen and it would sit there for anywhere from 15 seconds to 3 or 4 minutes before it loaded my desktop and icons. I brought it back, they did a factory reset, clear the battery, etc, etc. all the regular scripted trouble shooting. Didn't fix it, so they gave me a new replacement.

I'm using replacement 3 now, it has had the same exact problem since about two weeks after I got it. I'm tired of re-entering my data and dealing with replacements. Someone (*ahem* VERIZON *ahem*) NEEDS to talk to motorola and figure out what is buggy and is causing this issue. Obviously I'm not the only one, I've literally found hundreds of forum posts around the internet relating to this issue.

Can paying customers expect to receive a product that will work as promised or are we just supposed to deal with this and keep getting replacements? From a business perspective, it's brilliant to keep giving worthless replacements (the stores would not replace my screen protectors so I've had to buy a new one each time I get a replacement phone.. those small charges add up..) but from a customer service perspective, this is terrible!

I can already hear some of you saying, "well, you're still using a Droid 1? just upgrade already!" but I shouldn't have to. It's not that old, and this isn't a new issue caused by regular use, this is someone not doing their job and producing an untested, buggy device. I don't feel right saying it's 100% Verizon's fault, because they don't manufacture the phones, but I think Verizon needs to accept the responsibility that comes with putting their name on a product. Don't stake your reputation on something that doesn't work.

0 Likes