iPhone vs Droid X 1st impressions
SHAC
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, I'm a recovering iPhone user of 2.5 years and a self-proclaimed Apple junkie.

At one point, I owned:

iPhone 3GS

iPad

iPod nano

Apple TV

17" Macbook Pro

So, I've cut my teeth in and around the Apple cult-ure.

Then I used an original Droid and it was crazy what the iPhone just didn't DO. Not because it "couldn't", but because Apple "wouldn't". JAILBREAKING DOESN'T COUNT in this argument. I jailbroke my iPhone: not impressed. If you have to hack to make it do some of the things Android does stock, it simply doesn't count.

So, impressions after a few days of having the Droid X:

1. iPhone is more user-friendly for simple-minded folks, i.e. soccer moms can feel techno-savvy with an iPhone. That means, for the rest of us, Android is where it's at.

2. Bloatware on Android: not as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be. If you don't like the Blockbuster app, don't use it. So what if you can't erase it? You can't erase some programs off of the iPhone either.

3. Verizon's network does, in fact, kick the {word filter avoidance}
of AT&T. 3G at my house w/ VZW, no 3G w/ AT&T.

4. Google needs an answer to iTunes, and hopefully Google Music does just that.

5. HOWEVER, it's sad how slaved the iDevices are to iTunes. It's 2010: I shouldn't have to plug in my phone to a laptop/desktop to sync.

6.  MobileMe is pathetic. $99 vs. $0. The interface is too simple (soccer moms).

7. Android is true multi-tasking. iOS 4.0 is simply fast app-switching, not multi-tasking.

8. More situational awareness w/ Android. Meaning, when I open up the home screen of the iPhone, all I see are icons. Woopdeedoo. Where's the INFORMATION? With Android, I can put instant, streaming info right on the main screen w/ the widgets.

9. NOTIFICATIONS!! This is the big reason I switched. Apple's notifications system is HORRIBLE. Absolutely archaic. Those inane pop-up windows for texts/notifications are disruptive. Android's notification bar is a breath of fresh air.

Wrap-up: The Droid X/Android is/are not perfect. VZW is not perfect. Neither is the iPhone/AT&T. Android does a few things really great that iOS doesn't, and vice versa. Android wouldn't be around if it wasn't for iOS b/c the iPhone {word filter avoidance}
slapped the smartphone industry in 2007 and changed the game...but now the game has changed and Android, to me, is the superior OS.

/rant.

0 Likes
Re: iPhone vs. Droid X 1st impressions
Wildman
Legend

In my opinion is that the era of the iPhone is trickling away, I am glad that someone came along to wake them up, the iPhone has been released over and over again with out no major changes...  I was getting fed up with the constant "iPhone Killer" concept... The iPhone did step up the game when they released the 1st generation device but they haven't really released anything truly new to the game in a while. 

Now I am not saying that the OS still doesn't have some possibilities but I do feel that the Android OS performs every bit of as well as the latest OS4, every day more and more applications that was dedicated to the iPhone is being ported to Android to prove this to be fact...

In the end I feel that it is time to have iPhone in its world and Android in theirs, comparing makes no since because they are both nice OS and there will always be some features that one user will prefer over others and their will never be a across the board preference for everyone.

Oh yeah, Verizon DOES do reception, can you hear me now? :smileyvery-happy:... Couldnt resist.

0 Likes
Re: iPhone vs Droid X 1st impressions
SteelerFan
Contributor - Level 2

Great review. I have an Ipod for working and will probably get another one when this wears out. I would never buy an Iphone and I am thrilled with my DroidX.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

SteelerFan wrote:

Great review. I have an Ipod for working and will probably get another one when this wears out. I would never buy an Iphone and I am thrilled with my DroidX.

The first original iPod I got the "brain" of it fried. I had to get a refurbished which still lasts me til this day. I got a 4GB nano ipod as a back up because I was afraid of the original Ipod dieing again. The 4GB one screen went totaly blank. It still played music, but about a month ago it stopped playing. It's dead. Can't get it back to life:smileysad: Dam apple!! :smileymad:  I landed up buying an 8GB one on ebay for $90.  Ugh.  The only reason I like them is their good for working out! 

Anyways when it is between an iPhone and Droid X, I am going to say Droid X totally wins. iPhone to me is overrated and not worth one penny.I fail to see what all the hype is about that phone.

I couldn't resist.....

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/08/iphoneSMASH.jpg

0 Likes
lewwill
Enthusiast - Level 3

Looks like iphone's latest commercial.  It's trying to say it is as durable as a Glock or a Timex. 

Droid Does!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

TheGreatOne wrote:

SteelerFan wrote:

The first original iPod I got the "brain" of it fried. I had to get a refurbished which still lasts me til this day. I got a 4GB nano ipod as a back up because I was afraid of the original Ipod dieing again. The 4GB one screen went totaly blank. It still played music, but about a month ago it stopped playing. It's dead. Can't get it back to life:smileysad: Dam apple!! :smileymad:  I landed up buying an 8GB one on ebay for $90.  Ugh.  The only reason I like them is their good for working out! 

Anyways when it is between an iPhone and Droid X, I am going to say Droid X totally wins. iPhone to me is overrated and not worth one penny.I fail to see what all the hype is about that phone.

I couldn't resist.....

TGO:

Love the picture!  Up until a few months ago a coworker of mine had an iphone that looked A LOT like that.  The floor of a grocery store and an iphone just don't mix. haha. He was still using it and had been for about a year like that until his contract was up at AT&T.  On the brighter side, he escaped the grip of AT&T and landed at Sprint with an EVO 4G.  Not Verizon I know, but at least it's an Android phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

TheGreatOne wrote:

I couldn't resist.....

Ann154 wrote:

TGO:

Love the picture!  Up until a few months ago a coworker of mine had an iphone that looked A LOT like that.  The floor of a grocery store and an iphone just don't mix. haha. He was still using it and had been for about a year like that until his contract was up at AT&T.  On the brighter side, he escaped the grip of AT&T and landed at Sprint with an EVO 4G.  Not Verizon I know, but at least it's an Android phone.

I did that to someone's iPhone that they didn't want anyone :smileytongue::smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
To be fair, the iphone is a great device. Apple needs to really update it to keep up with new devices tho. It set a standard for smart phones and because of it we have great phones like the x. The more competition the better. It helps other products get better. I love competition.
0 Likes
Jeff918

I love my Droid X.  Had a Blackberry Storm and it doesn't come close. I have never had an iPhone but I have had 3 different iPods.  Love my iPod touch and use it daily for music but will use the Droid for most everything else.  I agree there is room for both and competition will only cause each companies phones to be better.

0 Likes