gMail Sync says "no connection" after 2.0.1 update...?
kwisatz

It appears that something happened after the update... everything is OK aside from gMail showing "no connection" regardless of being on Verizon's network (data) or WiFi... and going to {Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync > gMail Account > Menu > Sync Now} shows that Calendar and Contacts are OK, but gMail doenst work... 😕

I found another person (or more) over on Motorola talking about it as well.

Talked with Verizon and since I dont have another phone to call on I'm dead in the water... and of course the only way to 'redo' the sync with the gMail account is to reset the phone (the Droid itself told me this).

Ugh - others having the same issue?

See also: https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/86585#86585

-Dustin

0 Likes
Re: gMail Sync says "no connection" after 2.0.1 update...?
kwisatz

Not sure if this is related, but it appears that when I went to sync with Facebook it states "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." The sync-icon next to Facebook is in red.

Google sync icon is green, but if I go into it, just shows that contacts and calendar are green but it needs to keep retrying for gMail.

0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

Have you tried removing your google account completely from the device, reboot, then add it back, and reboot.  Should fix your sync issue.

0 Likes
kwisatz

Unfortunately this is only possible with a hard-reset of the phone... which according to one account I've found online, does not work. So I'm skeptical... if you try to remove the [only] gMail account it tells you that many system functions rely on it and to remove the account requires resetting the phone to factory settings.

Spent two hours with Motorola on the phone and no resolution. Might have to do the reset, but meeting with Verizon in the morning... and calling Motorola as well.

One word: ugh.

0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

ughh, that sucks.  Sorry you're having the problem.  Hope you get it resolved tomorrow with VZW.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
SOLVED; Re: gMail Sync says "no connection" after 2.0.1 update...?
kwisatz

At least in my situation I just resolved the issue and able to sync again.

Simply went into gMail app > Menu > View Labels > Outbox > {deleted all items in my outbox}

and now it all works. 😕  Understand it? Nope. Like it working again? Yup.

0 Likes
Re: SOLVED; Re: gMail Sync says "no connection" after 2.0.1 update...?
robbski

Ok, I'm frustrated as all hell, right now!  Last night I got a notification saying my phone couldn't delete all of my contacts.  I freaked out, wondering what the heck was going on.  I selected "undo" to the choices.  All of a sudden, I've got a duplicate of every contact in my Google contacts.  I'm still getting "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."   I went online, and removed all of my duplicate contacts, so I'm back down to about 118, versus the 240 I had last night.  Only SOME of my photos are showing up in my contact list on my Droid, but they ALL show up, online.  Sync is working from updating contacts online, but the actual sync from the phone still gives the error message.  I do NOT wanna do a hard reset of this phone!!!  I've spent WAY too much time over the last 4 weeks customizing everything!  Is it possible to delete the Google account, without resetting the phone?  I'm not even gonna bother with Verizon customer service.  They're all clueless.  I did export my contacts online, in case i have to import them back in.  Does anybody know if that takes all of the notes and photos you've got attached to every contact?  Thanks in advance for any of your suggestions/help.  -Robb

0 Likes
Re: SOLVED; Re: gMail Sync says "no connection" after 2.0.1 update...?
robbski

FYI, I just updated a contact on Google online (added a last name to a contact), and it synced to the Droid, but I still get the "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."  Also, of the 118 contacts, ALL with pictures associated to them, only 40 of the contacts in my Droid show pictures.  This ticks me off!  :robotmad:

0 Likes
cdecrist

Has there been any update to the gmail sync problem?  My phone will sync with my contacts and calendar without a problem, but i get the message "No Connection" with the gmail app in the Droid.  I really liked it, why won't it work?  I don't want to hard reset/restore to factory settings because I put lots of time into customizing my phone.    From what I hear its a temporary fix and the gmail app fails again.  It seems like there were no posts after the 12th.  Is there a fix?  I have tried everything and it does not work.  REALLY BUMMED!!

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

cdecrist wrote:

Has there been any update to the gmail sync problem?  My phone will sync with my contacts and calendar without a problem, but i get the message "No Connection" with the gmail app in the Droid.  I really liked it, why won't it work?  I don't want to hard reset/restore to factory settings because I put lots of time into customizing my phone.    From what I hear its a temporary fix and the gmail app fails again.  It seems like there were no posts after the 12th.  Is there a fix?  I have tried everything and it does not work.  REALLY BUMMED!!

I know some have, but I have not experienced any problems with my Gmail updating since the update.  That said, I did update manually and not OTA.  Have you tried a simple battery pull?

0 Likes