droid wont connect to gps
jaymeangreen

im having a problem with my new droid phone. it will not connect to gps which makes the navigation useless.i searched around the web forums and found out im not alone in this problem so i called tech support and they told me it was an issue with the phone and they didnt have a fix for it yet. anyone else having this problem ?

0 Likes
Re: droid wont connect to gps
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Have you turned on GPS? It has to be turned on to work.

0 Likes
snorkel

Add the power manager widget and ensure the GPS is actually on.  When you add the widget it's the icon that looks like a satalite dish.   I usually leave mine off unless I plan on using the maps.

0 Likes
jaymeangreen

yes gps is on   yes i have the gps status widget . what i dont have is any navigation because my gps wont connect

0 Likes
snorkel

Your not in a big city with sky scrapers or a inside a mostly metal building are you?

GPS usually has a hard time connecting in a office type building and outside in a large city like New York or Chicago.

0 Likes
jaymeangreen

no im out in the open pretty much , i have a handheld gps and a garin nuvi so im not new at this its definitely the phone itself .i appreciate everyone trying to help. i just called tech support and was told " it was a known issue but they dont have a fix right now " It seems some have no problems and others dont so i would think it is device related . maybe i should just bring it back and get a new one . again thanks to everyone

0 Likes
tiabrook

I have the same problem...it constantly searches for GPS.  I'm on my third phone now, and it still doesn't work.  Verizon and Motorola both say that it's a problem with Google...a third party app that they can't fix.  I haven't had any luck in finding out a fix for it, or in finding a way to contact Google.  It's frustrating, because the navigation feature was one of my main reasons for wanting this phone.  And, yes, I have checked to make sure the GPS is on on every phone...the little sattelite shows up at the top, but it never finds it.

0 Likes
charliewhiskey
I'm having the same problem... Even when I stand outside for 10 minutes, I can't get a GPS lock. It was working just fine but now after having the phone for about 3 days the GPS stopped locking this evening. GPS status shows the satellites in gray (so it must be seeing them at least) but they won't lock on.
0 Likes
SSHGuru
Contributor - Level 1

Alien ships are blocking the signal.

0 Likes
sdelrio

I am having same issue, Verizon store rep tells me that if you were with Alltel before they were bought by Verizon the GPS on Droid has issues. Something to do with the account and that Tech support knows about it. 

0 Likes