can not send or receive mms on htc incredible
v8dreaming

I can not send or receive mms messages on my HTC Incredible. I've tried with the stock messenger and with chomp and with handcent. All have the same result. Picture was taken with the phone at the smallest size possible. Settings in the messaging app are set to the largest size possible.

I've tried starting in safe mode and can not get it to go into safe mode to test.

I have had multiple issues with this phone from random reboots, to this to stock app manager constantly force closing to text messenger app force closing and wiping out all my texts to haptic feed back intermittently not working. 

There is something wrong with this phone.

0 Likes
Re: can not send or receive mms on htc incredible
v8dreaming

I tried to edit again, but did not see an option to do so... I guess you only have a certain amount of time to edit?

Anyhoo, I hard reset my phone and installed no apps and tried again. MMS is still not working with the same settings as before.

Also, I have 3 bars on the 3g indicator.

Jason.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i really hate to say it but that sounds like a bad phone. if the hard reset didn't resolve the issue, you may be stuck with needing to replace it. you've troubleshooted what i would have suggested (resoltion, send/recieve limits, etc). it's having too many problems to be something simple imo. i hope i am wrong.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

v8dreaming wrote:

I can not send or receive mms messages on my HTC Incredible. I've tried with the stock messenger and with chomp and with handcent. All have the same result. Picture was taken with the phone at the smallest size possible. Settings in the messaging app are set to the largest size possible.

I've tried starting in safe mode and can not get it to go into safe mode to test.

I have had multiple issues with this phone from random reboots, to this to stock app manager constantly force closing to text messenger app force closing and wiping out all my texts to haptic feed back intermittently not working. 

There is something wrong with this phone.

What error message are you receiving? On my phone I receive an error picture too large, but I continue on and the picture is sent.

0 Likes
Rudabaugh

Here is the fix. I found this on androidforums.com -

"the culprit is the Quick Settings App so I suggest deleting it after you fix this. I'm not sure if Quick Settings must be installed on your phone for this fix to work. I reinstalled it before doing this fix.)

Before you Begin: You must have a MicroSD card installed. You MUST have Windows configured to show extensions of known file types! Do not proceed until you're sure you can see extensions of files. See here for simple instructions on how to show extensions in Windows: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=193

1) Install APN Backup and Restore from the Market (free)
2) Run the App and select Backup. Name the file: apns-broken.xml
3) Plug Incredible into USB (or remove card) and copy the file on your phone's sdcard from folder called APNBackupRestore to your pc.
4) Open the file on your pc in a text editor such as notepad.
5) Remove the 2 occurrences of [disabled] - see below for example.

My Step 5: Erase everything you see in the file and then cut & paste the "APN After Editing" sequence seen below. (Click on File and then Save, not sure if this makes a difference but I did it.)

6) Save the edited file as: apns-fixed.xml
7) Verify your can see the file extension of the file as .xml
😎 Copy the file back to your sdcard into the same folder called APNBackupRestore.
9) Run APN Backup again and click Restore. Select the file to restore: apns-fixed.xml - When prompted to search for all instances, answer: NO
10) Unplug your phone from USB and reboot your phone.

APN Before Editing
bolded entries will be removed
==============

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns>
<apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1[disabled]" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms" type="mms[disabled]" />
</apns>

APN After Editing
==============

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns>
<apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms" type="mms" />
</apns>

=============
Note: If the word "null" is missing after your restore and check the apn again, that is ok. For example: password="null" and Password="" are both acceptable. Sometimes Android will remove the word "null" when restoring."

0 Likes
mcm109

Your solution was perfect!  Thank you so much!!!  I can now send and receive pictures/mms.  Hooray!

0 Likes
cstridiron

Excellent research.  I am also now able to send picture (MMS). 

Thank you very much for your posting.

0 Likes
kuzmafamily613

I tried this solution and when I went onto my phone to restore the file, it said "could not find any backup files in the /mnt/sdcard/apnbackup/restore folder" and it only lets me hit "close" on the message. I followed the instructions and saved the fixed file right back into the apnbackuprestore folder. ?

0 Likes
gnileo99

Hi

If you get that message ""could not find any backup files in the /mnt/sdcard/apnbackup/restore folder" ", disconnect your phone from the computer first then unplug the USB.

Restart the APN Backup Application and it should work

0 Likes