calibrate compass
hallcp1019
Contributor - Level 2

am i crazy or does this go on forever or whats up lol it says rotate device till image turns green but theres never like a verification to say calibrated and flipped and spun my phone for like 10 mins just to see if i was doing it wrong just wondering?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: calibrate compass
Wildman
Legend

jmccoy70 wrote:

Maps is 5.5.0  Compass indicates North East West and South correctly.

Maps 5.5.0 appears to have downloaded automatically.  I am thinking it came with Gingerbread.

Glad to hear you got the update but this build couldnt been installed with GB because to many users have a older version installed...  Maybe you had your autoupdate option turned on and it updated after update completed, who knows..

Faafil wrote:

I have Maps 5.5.0 and my east/west pointers are still backward. My compass calibrates correctly, but Maps pointer does not show east/west opposite. North/South are okay.

One thing uninstalling and reinstalling maps did was correct the problem of not populating the dialer with phone number from a web page. Could be a coincidence....

At least the update resolved something for you, that at least is progress..

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Faafil
Enthusiast - Level 3

After you press calibrate do you get the circle with NSEW?? It took me a couple of minutes for the circle to turn green, but it finally worked...

0 Likes
hallcp1019
Contributor - Level 2

never got the compass to turn green lol is that phone thing before just a demo and im that slow?

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

As I recall, it can take a long time to get it calibrated. best done when you're outdoors with no obstructions.  But it does eventually turn green - CALIBRATED.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Cody i've done that an the Compass that you have to cailibrate it shows true an green like you said but it Does't  Help the App Compasses as i've got GPS Test From chartcross an the other Compass app an East  West is Reversed Now North an South are Tru an i mention in a different post my incredible was never really on True. But Google is going to have to fix this one as so many rely on maps an GPS.

Hallcop you have to go outside dood so the X gets a good view of the satellites an when you start . spin the X in every Direction, Holding the X top to bottom spin it 3 to 4 times, side to side same amout of Times,  holding it  up right again turn it around an around same amount of times an on every axcess Do this about 2 to 3 min. an see if you have green if so your Done hit the home button.

0 Likes
Faafil
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, the picture of the phone rotating is just a demo - press calibrate and you'll get the compass...then rotate the phone.

As the other poster mentioned, the east/west pointer on Google Maps are reversed... so far no fix for it that I've found... hope they do an update quick! We're going to be traveling southeast for vacation and I don't want to end up in Canada! :smileysurprised:

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Ha Ha :smileyvery-happy: I just noticed that my device is suffering from this little bug, I just used my Navigation and noticed that the map reported to me that the building I wanted was on the wrong side of the street (Said it was on the right when it was in fact on the left side), this isnt a big issue but I can see where this could be a little confusing... :smileysurprised:

The one thing about this is that users are blaming the update when this clearly appears to be a Google Maps bug, the developer simply input the data for directions in incorrectly....   I opened the compass calibration software is reading all directions correctly so this is a software bug not a update issue.   I am sure Google will get a fix as soon as possible to resolve this but at this time my GPS still have got me to every address I inputted without issues so the app isnt unusable..

Hope this puts users at ease about this little bug because its not a major issue....

0 Likes
B33
Legend

:smileyvery-happy: Wildman it make you feel wich way do i go to find my(Butt)around this way or around that way LOL:smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

DincX110 wrote:

:smileyvery-happy: Wildman it make you feel wich way do i go to find my Butt around this way or around that way LOL:smileyvery-happy:

OOOKKKK??? :smileyvery-happy:, Thats a colorful way to view things but I guess you are right...   By the way have anyone tried any 3rd party GPS and see if the issue is also on that app as will because I believe it may not have the same issue..

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Wildman we got to have a alittle humor it makes the World go around an thats all that counts Right :smileywink:

0 Likes