backup assistant pin reset
lashby

I backed up my contact list successfully when I first got my Incredible.

Unfortunately, I had to totally re-do my contract, and I no longer have access to the login I use for that backup at myaccount.verizonwireless.com.  

Now, when I try to sync my contacts, Backup Assistant asks me for a PIN that I don't remember.  When it fails, it gives me a web page address (http://www.verizonwireless.com/backupassistant) to go to for instructions on how to retrieve my pin.  

I can't find directions for retrieving or resetting my PIN anywhere on that site.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: backup assistant pin reset
Lockup
Enthusiast - Level 3

lashby wrote:

I backed up my contact list successfully when I first got my Incredible.

Unfortunately, I had to totally re-do my contract, and I no longer have access to the login I use for that backup at myaccount.verizonwireless.com.  

Now, when I try to sync my contacts, Backup Assistant asks me for a PIN that I don't remember.  When it fails, it gives me a web page address (http://www.verizonwireless.com/backupassistant) to go to for instructions on how to retrieve my pin.  

I can't find directions for retrieving or resetting my PIN anywhere on that site.

Any suggestions?

Your probably screwed.  If the website does not give you a way to reset the PIN I doubt CS can do anything for you.  MY wife had a problem with Backup Assist on here Dinc and we could never get it to work and I had a similar problem where for whatever reason it would not take her PIN anymore and would not let me reset it.  Luckily I still had all her contacts on it from the activation and was able to change them all over to the gmail ones so they back up on her gmail account now.

That can be kind of tricky though.  you basically have to export them all.  Then delete them all.  Then import them in and tell it to change them to gmail contacts.  then they will start to back up on the gmail account but any new ones you add have to be made a gmail contact (something like that can't remember off the top of my head)

Contacts already in your phone will not backup to gmail from what I have seen unless they are setup that way. 

0 Likes
VZHawaii

Visit the backup assistant page on your MyVerizon website after you login,  There is a button on the site "View PIN" which actually displays your current pin.

To get to this page I login to My Verizon, then I click on "Contacts" and then there is a button to go to the backup assistant page.

0 Likes
sharp1

thanks for the tip! also note that the pin is in the grey shaded area under the white pop up box, its sooo easy to miss

0 Likes
txredkim867

I switched from a BB Curve to the Incredible and used the back up assistant, NO problem...Then after a couple weeks of using the Incredible I was less than impressed with the virtual keyboard (user issue, not device) and switched back to my trusty BB Curve..Well this is where the fun begins...(NOT)

Upon re-activating my BB I kept getting this error message that my sync or back-up failed due to invalid pin every single time I got a text, call etc. on the BB Curve. I just backed out of it and moved on ignoring the message since ALL the contact data stored through the backup assistant originated from the BB Curve. WRONG Decision

After 1 day of using my BB again suddenly NO ringing on incoming calls ALL calls came in as Unknown name/number. Never heard a sound...Message indicator light on so I open message center and a missed call with no data. WHO CALLED? IDK cause it sent the call straight to VM without ringing etc. If the caller left a voice message my device recognized the number, IF they are stored in my contacts, and displayed it in my message center but the NETWORK said unknown. If they didn't leave a message WHO ARE THEY, IDK! 

I called Verizon, NOTHING they can do. Now I'm **bleep**..My BB is useless all because of backup assistant! 

I tried EVERYTHING, spent hours on the phone..Read Blogs, forums etc., NOTHING

Here's what I did to resolve the problem: 1. Deleted the backup assistant from the device. 2. Reinstalled it and acted as if I had never backed any data up and did it again. BOOM, connected and transfered ALL data. Tested device by calling all my peeps and there ya go, Ringing, Caller ID info, etc., FIXED...

WHY is this relevant to this Community u ask? BECAUSE:

Now 3 days ago I decided that I was going to RE-ACTIVATE my Droid..Since I paid FULL PRICE for it I was going to Learn to LOVE that Virtual Keyboard...So I turn off the curve, turn the Droid on and *228...Activation Complete..Guess what folks, SAME EXACT PROBLEM with the backup assistant once again, but now on the Droid Incredible...

Invalid Pin, Change pin, wont do it...Wont sync, etc. etc. 

Just now as I type this message, I have completed the steps I mentioned above for correcting the problem on the BB Curve and IT WORKED..

So try the following: REMOVE Backup Assistant form your device...Then go to the Market and download it again..Then Install and go through the set up and sync/backup again as if you never used it before and this should correct your problem..It did for me...GOOD LUCK! 

A point worth mentioning. When I reinstalled the backup assistant onto the BB Curve it duplicated the contacts in my original contact list that had Facebook accounts. It did the same when I reinstalled it on the Droid..Not a problem if you only have a few contacts in your list just scan through them and remove the duplicates...If you have Hundreds, as I do then it is a major pain in the bottom...

0 Likes