a wireless modem for a laptop?
usbrit

Can I use the Droid x as a wireless  modem for a  laptop?   If so what steps do I need to take?

Many years ago I used a cell phone to power a laptop while travelling in a motor home, I wonder if this is possible with this phone, many thanks, usbrit

0 Likes
Re: a wireless modem for a laptop?
Wildman
Legend

Droid X has a mobile hotspot feature and this is the ability to connect 5 devices through the wifi on device and connect using the 3G signal but the feature cost a extra $20 a month for 2GB of data and then extra for anything above the 2Gig minimual.  You can add this feature through the web or CS.

0 Likes
TaeSong
Contributor - Level 1

usbrit wrote:

Can I use the Droid x as a wireless  modem for a  laptop?   If so what steps do I need to take?

Many years ago I used a cell phone to power a laptop while travelling in a motor home, I wonder if this is possible with this phone, many thanks, usbrit

Search Market for USB modem tether app {edit for TOS violation}

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Didnt think that app support wireless tethering?

0 Likes
TaeSong
Contributor - Level 1

usbrit wrote:

A stock Droid X is capbable of being used as a mobile broadband modem, but the feature is disabled when you activate the phone.  ( I had a chance to test this, tested the phone activation).  But there's not much you can do about it.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

That feature isnt disabled, it just needs the data plan added to the account for it to work.

0 Likes
TaeSong
Contributor - Level 1

Wildman wrote:

That feature isnt disabled, it just needs the data plan added to the account for it to work.

A stock Droid X can be used as a mobile broadband modem via USB without an app {edit for TOS violation}

.  This feature is disabled during the activation process.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Sorry my mistake, but since the question was about wireless tethering I wasn't thinking you was speaking of wired tethering, I thought you was saying wireless tethering was disable.  I really don't know about wired because I don't prefer to have my device plugged into the USB to access web, it to inconvenience for me.

0 Likes