You don't need a screen protector!
gallhiser

Here's an embarrassing story I hope can help others.

I use a Verizon belt clip for my DROID X which has four corner clip points.  I was in a hurry, and didn't check that I had all four corners of the device securely in place.  I missed one.  I was tooling down the street on my bicycle at 15mph when the DROID popped out of the belt clip and fell three feet to the ground, and then slid face down along the asphalt for another five feet.

The result: two very small nicks in the black metal frame which I could cover up with a black magic marker.  The screen?  Untouched.  Not a mark.  It really is gorilla glass.  And it's also worth noting there was no operating damage to the phone.  The DROID X is one strong device.

I have seen some other posts that people have had trouble with their screens after installing device protectors.  In my experience, you probably don't need a screen protector for the DROID.

0 Likes
Re: You don't need a screen protector!
macbruan

Took my Droid X to the beach, got a few sand specs on the screen...couldn't see them from the smudges from my fingerprints and now I have tiny scratches...I only notice them when the phone is sleeping, or off.  So I think a screen protector is not a bad idea.

0 Likes
Re: You don't need a screen protector!
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I wouldn't quite say you DON'T need one.  They have their benefits.  The Gorilla Glass on the Droid and Droid X does a good job of resisting scratches.  Cracks? not so much.  My original droid has been dumped twice onto its face with a screen protector. The first time it just chipped the top part of the phone above the glass. Second time it chipped a couple more spots on the near the first chip but also cracked the glass.  Where? Over two of the touch sensitive buttons which aren't covered by the screen protector.  Fingerprints and smudges are usually less noticeable with screen protectors also.  I'm currently running mine without one since I goofed putting the last one on and removed it and the screen is a bit smoother and more responsive but finger prints are awful.

0 Likes