Why Must Syncing With Outlook Be So Convoluted?
hubsm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been using a BB Storm (1 then 2) and before that a Palm Treo.  Because I have heard so much about The Droid X I thought I would upgrade.  However, after reading a bunch of forums, I am soooo glad I did not get any kind of Android phone.  I can't believe that a simple process like syncing a cell phone directly to Outlook, without involving Google or Gmail, is not possible.  Really?  When I first saw that on a forum I thought I must have been misreading it - but No!  All the solutions presented involved 3rd party apps and/or Google apps that make you sync everything to a Google calendar and Google contacts first.  Google claims that they don't try to control you like Apple, but obviously that is a lie.  I hardly think that Google can't figure out how to sync directly to Outlook - they just don't want to.  This is evident since they let you sync to Outlook in an enterprise environment, just not locally.

In addition to that, it really ticks me off when some Droid forum moderator tries to tell me that not being able to sync to Outlook is not an Android problem - I'm just stupid for wanting to sync with Outlook.

Am I off-base on this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why Must Syncing With Outlook Be So Convoluted?
hubsm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problem solved.  MyPhoneExplorer does just want I need - and it's free (I will be donating).  Just shows what I said all along - Google could do it, they just don't want to.  Thanks Gumby

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Butthead
Contributor - Level 2
You should purchased an Incredible. Htc sync is available and syncs with outlook. Motorola never promised out of the box sync.
0 Likes
Morkai
Enthusiast - Level 3
Droid incredible only syncs phone contacts, not gmail, so you are stuck choosing between the two. Why someone decided to make it like that astounds me
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Thats the pleasures of having to work at Windows mercy, they do everything to restrict other OS from using their software, the only reason why BB can access the information from outlook without issues is because it routes everything through their own personal server to translate the information, if you think about it Google isn't handling the situation differently from BB but they just doing do it seamlessly.

0 Likes
Morkai
Enthusiast - Level 3
Htc phones sync phone contacts with outlook just fine. Its google that chose to keep phone and google contacts completely separate with no way to easily sync them.
0 Likes
hubsm
Enthusiast - Level 3

That decision is easy, I don't care about syncing anything from Gmail, I just don't want my contacts hanging out in the cloud.  My problem is that I wanted a Droid X, not an Incredible.

Morkai wrote:
Droid incredible only syncs phone contacts, not gmail, so you are stuck choosing between the two. Why someone decided to make it like that astounds me

0 Likes
hubsm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry Wildman but I don't agree with the reasoning that the real culprit is Microsoft.  Not only can BB do it, but my old Palm Treo, not the bastian of technology, could do it 4 years ago.  If BB can do it and Palm can do it, why can't Google do it?  The answer is obvious - they can, they just don't want to.  All they really care about is derailing Microsoft.  They don't give a rip about the millions of people using Outlook.

On second thought, I guess this isn't a very important issue as compared to finding the best Android flashlight and fart apps.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I agree its not all Microsoft but all OS prefer to be the OS favorite but this is the pleasures on competition. but let look at it realistically, not everyone have been having issues using android with outlook because the issues actually seem to be caused more from the network security configuration setting than the devices way of handling them.  As for BB they use there own server so the comparison isn't the same (Apples and oranges) but as for Palm I can not respond because I really do not know the Palm software enough, I only used it for maybe 6 months years ago.

I have two network push email accounts setup on my device and I am able to retrieve my emails without any issues and I am not using any 3rd party apps or forward through Google.

0 Likes
hubsm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand that Android works OK in an enterprise environment.  I don't have that.  I am running Outlook 2003 stand-alone.  I have yet to find anyone on any forum that has found a way to interface directly with Outlook, especially Contacts & Calendar, but also email.  There are threads all over the internet filled with people who are equally unhappy with how Google makes you do it.  I have had 2 Treo's and 2 Storms over the last 7 years and never had to do what Google makes you do.  It's not technology, its "just business".

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Sorry my misunderstanding, I didnt realize you was speaking the stand alone app... I dont try to sync data with outlook because I noticed issues syncing with WM devices so I didnt expect it to work correctly with any other OS...   You do get that you have to install additional software to use BB and Palm to sync even with the stand alone application? Actually I think it actually does not go through outlook but simply import csv file from outlook into BB and Palm software to tranfer information.

0 Likes