Who To Contact At Google, Verizon or Motorola to have the Droid 2.2 OS fixed
wfooffroad

So, I have been using the new 2.2 Droid OS and was all excited when it came out and my phone said update but shortly after it was a left down.  I love the new Email/Gmail interface.  The camera is awesome now, easy to change setting and the desk top with 5 screens and standard home and browser button is perfect. BUT

It seems like this new 2.2 OS runs at a slower 3G speed.  I was able to do a comparison from a 2.1 phone to 2.2 and the 2.1 phone had an average download speed from Speedtest.net of 1000kbps and the 2.2 phone only had an average of 400kbps.  These are average speeds sometimes they would be faster and sometimes slower.  This would not concern me expect the fact I can tell when I stream Pandora Radio or Slacker Radio.  Slacker cuts in and out when it buffers 4 or 5 times a song, very annoying and Pandora just sounds like is streaming a lower quality song so that it doesn't have to stop and buffer so I can no longer listen to loud music in my car on the road which is why I have this phone.  If I wanted crappy service I would have kept my Iphone, but Verizon's service is Great and That's why I switched.  I know the 2.2 is slower on the 3G besides the speedtest.net test because the 2.1 phone sounds fine with Pandora just like mine did before the update and when I used wifi and Pandora, It also sounds fine.  So this update did something, and this something needs to be fix otherwise, I want my 2.1 back.  The 3 improvements I use, Gmail, Camera and Homescreen are not worth the loss of 3G.  I bought an Android phone for the freedom the phone offers and because it suppose to do anything.  It use to do anything but now, not so much =(

If anyone know if this is on the side of Verizon, Google or Motorola please let me know.  I would like to email my concerns to them.  Or if anyone knows the people that should be emailed please left me know.  Im guessing this is under the category of support, so I should be able to email Verizon Support, Google Support and Motorola Support?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!!!

0 Likes
Re: Who To Contact At Google, Verizon or Motorola to have the Droid 2.2 OS fixed
Not applicable
Log into your "MY VERIZON" where you can leave a message for the customer service support team.
0 Likes
Re: Who To Contact At Google, Verizon or Motorola to have the Droid 2.2 OS fixed
rtpnc6
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can't concur on the 3G speeds. I just ran a speed test and got 1364kbps down, 814kbps up. These are FASTER than my previous tests with 2.1.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

A lot of things can have an impact on speed and the froyo update is an unlikely cause.  The poor quality issue is probably due to how google implemented the streaming media player in Froyo.  They expected app developers to modify their apps but that didn't happen so a lot of the apps that stream audio over 3G or wifi don't sound all that great.  Google has a fix but if/when that gets pushed out is anyone's guess.

0 Likes
AdkWoody

My speedtest.net results in Kbps-

On 2.1: 3G- 2234 down / 697 up. WiFi- 3096 down / 1028 up.

On 2.2: 3G- 809 down / 674 up. WiFi- 3951 down / 1017 up.

I have run several speed tests after the latest update because I have noticed the same thing. I have made sure that I am using the same server every time. I don't know if this is because I have more apps now than before? Not sure. I have noticed an increase in the speed with the WiFi connection. When I first got the phone it just had 2.1 with no updates. A couple months after I got it there was an update so it had 2.1 update 1. That update increased the 3G speed from around 1000 down and 600 up to the over 2000 mark down and around 700 up. There will probably be an update with the amount of problems that everyone is having I would suggest letting Verizon know with an EMail and hanging in there. Good luck!

0 Likes
wfooffroad

jimfitzgerald wrote:
Log into your "MY VERIZON" where you can leave a message for the customer service support team.

Cool, im doing that now!

Thank You

0 Likes
wfooffroad

rtpnc6 wrote:

I can't concur on the 3G speeds. I just ran a speed test and got 1364kbps down, 814kbps up. These are FASTER than my previous tests with 2.1.

I ran some speed tests again this morning with my phone and it seems quicker.  It could have been related to the Market place problem I heard about.  But my Internet Radio Pandora or Slacker still sound like crap.

0 Likes
wfooffroad

PJNC284 wrote:

A lot of things can have an impact on speed and the froyo update is an unlikely cause.  The poor quality issue is probably due to how google implemented the streaming media player in Froyo.  They expected app developers to modify their apps but that didn't happen so a lot of the apps that stream audio over 3G or wifi don't sound all that great.  Google has a fix but if/when that gets pushed out is anyone's guess.

I was able to get a hold of the people at Pandora and they confirmed for me that it is the new Froyo OS causing problems in the streaming of their music files.  They told me Froyo is having trouble playing the AAC files they use.  I tried Last FM and it seems to be playing and sounding better.  Its just a waiting game to see who fixes the problem first, The people that made the app or google/motorola/verizon.

0 Likes
wfooffroad

AdkWoody wrote:

My speedtest.net results in Kbps-

On 2.1: 3G- 2234 down / 697 up. WiFi- 3096 down / 1028 up.

On 2.2: 3G- 809 down / 674 up. WiFi- 3951 down / 1017 up.

I have run several speed tests after the latest update because I have noticed the same thing. I have made sure that I am using the same server every time. I don't know if this is because I have more apps now than before? Not sure. I have noticed an increase in the speed with the WiFi connection. When I first got the phone it just had 2.1 with no updates. A couple months after I got it there was an update so it had 2.1 update 1. That update increased the 3G speed from around 1000 down and 600 up to the over 2000 mark down and around 700 up. There will probably be an update with the amount of problems that everyone is having I would suggest letting Verizon know with an EMail and hanging in there. Good luck!

Thanks for the info.

Im looking forward to an update to fix this mess

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
I have 1 out of 100 songs sound bad on pandora.. but that has always been
0 Likes