Re: What is the difference between Gingerbread version EP4P and EP4D?
jco23
Contributor - Level 3

I really do not think it matters if users will be getting 2.3.5 or 2.3.6, as 2.3.6 simple fixed a voice seach bug:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3
I don't care which version we get, it would be extra sweet if they got g chat with video to work too.
0 Likes
UMFootball1989
Will the front facing camera work with skype with gingerbread?
0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

THe official OTA is not an older version  EP4 is the latest build and is basically the same as the 4p  leak.   WHen you do the leak it says   I510.06  V.EP4

THe past 2 leaks have been 2.3.6  prior 3  2.3.5   None prior were Ep4's

IT is actually the opposite for leaks, they for awhile have been behind the actuall test builds by 1-2.   THE OTa (i have the offcial and did a SD update already)  is rev 3.2  which is one mark ahead of  R.3.0 fro mthe leak, so somethign else was tweaked.

If you offcially tested you would have recieved the official build which does not go by the leaked versions. Which you move to yoru SD card to update rather then the leaked ways.

0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

As a note:

Bloatware is stil lthere, even tho some no longer default launch like before, or at least till you first run them and use them.

Facebook removed by default, and we know why so you just need to install the full app.

New support for Google Music, however you need to give it time to synch if you have alot of music on your cloud server.

Front cam has a default swapper button for other apps.  Skype updated their app already to work with the front cam.

THere are other google support apk's hidden so looks like a Google Video  feature like Google music is on the way.

You can't judge by file size. Leaks are full overwrites. OTA's and SD downloaded are not. THe update is not going to contain default apps like the leaks which are SHIPPED builds to install onto new phones.

THe update is goign to overwrite the kernal, the main os, and radio's. The apps already present will not be changed (data will be backed up to the IMS then restored). So there is no need for a large file size.

If you take the ep4d and remove app data defaults.  It is around 108mb.

0 Likes
trparky
Contributor - Level 1

I'm going to definitely want the full package, the one that you say is intended to be installed on new phones.  Why?  Usually the full package results in a cleaner install than the upgrade.  This of course results in less chances of things going wrong.

I hope that we'll be getting a tar.md5 file that we can install via ODIN to the phone soon.  It's nothing I've not done before so I'm familar with the process of ODINing a ROM package to the phone.

Like I said, I want a clean install with none of the headaches that could come with an upgrade.  I've always done clean installs of Windows, never upgrades.  I'm going to apply the same philosophy to my phone as well.

0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

Ep4d has always been GIngerbread 2.3.6  EP4's are that build.

D is the stable standard.  P is a regional change to the menu and 1 added option in the setup menu, change to the new startup menu when you first start up a new pnone (an annoyign extra question basically).

THe main OS is basically the same. THe P update will be a small OTA afterwards.

Peopel in Alaska and HAwaii will give a different one. Not sure why, but will.

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3
Sweet! Sounds good.
0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

Im going to be honest. Im not likign te latest 2.3.6. THe prvious version runs better, has higher quadrant scores, more stable connection, and the added menu stuff in the latest 2.3.6 is just in the way.

Then I noticed that build also removed consoel commands to fine tune the system, like get rid of the charge complete beep and screen turning on. @.3.6 build 2 also have other features removed that can be handy.

0 Likes
trparky
Contributor - Level 1

Danalo over on XDA put together an ODIN package for the EP4D ROM (both rooted and non-rooted).

Apparently, but don't quote me on this, the EP4D ROM has a build date that is four days newer than the EP4P ROM that was leaked awhile ago.  Don't know why.  It really doesn't make much sense since historically each new subsequent new compiled build has a version code that's newer (usually the last letter is farther down the alphabet) than the last one.  The new EP4D build that's supposedly newer than EP4P defies that standard of new versioning.

0 Likes