What happened to the System Update we were supposed to get?
mhunsinger2010
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought we were getting a System Update to 5.9.905 according to http://verizonwireless.com/droidbionicsupport.  What happened?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What happened to the System Update we were supposed to get?
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

Ummm....that is not a software release -- that link is to a PDF document. An announcement of a software update is not the same as releasing a software update.  For proof of this, try installing that PDF as the operating system of your Bionic -- you'll see that it doesn't work.  Then maybe you'll understand the difference between an announcement and an operating system.

BTW:  If you knew how Motorola soak tests work you'd know that they don't announce them.  You didn't know that, therefore, you don't know how Motorola soak tests work.

But the software update rollout -- the "official release" -- actually will begin tonight (Wednesday, PDT) and take place over the next few days.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mlknez
Enthusiast - Level 2

Motorola is finalizing testing right now

jgiannettict
Enthusiast - Level 1

can't wait til the update.....I keep losing my 4g

0 Likes
thomasrd2

if they are finalizing the testing then why would they have an official release???  they do not announce a soak test to the public. 

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

thomasrd2 wrote:

if they are finalizing the testing then why would they have an official release???  they do not announce a soak test to the public. 

There IS NO official release yet.  That upcoming release announcement is still correct -- since it didn't include timing, other than "soon".  (It does seem to be a little premature -- maybe even misleading, I agree.)

First there's a soak test, then -- if that test with many hundreds of testers shows no lingering issues -- comes the full release. 

Of course they did not announce a soak test -- they never "announce" a soak test...except via e-mail to those selected to be in the test.  (and BTW:  Motorola runs the soak tests, not Verizon, though Verizon must have to approve what Motorola does.)

0 Likes
thomasrd2

Umm What do you call this??  --  http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/droid_bionic_instructions.pdf

This was posted last week as an official release.  I do understand how the soak test does work too. 

Respectfully

Robert

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

Ummm....that is not a software release -- that link is to a PDF document. An announcement of a software update is not the same as releasing a software update.  For proof of this, try installing that PDF as the operating system of your Bionic -- you'll see that it doesn't work.  Then maybe you'll understand the difference between an announcement and an operating system.

BTW:  If you knew how Motorola soak tests work you'd know that they don't announce them.  You didn't know that, therefore, you don't know how Motorola soak tests work.

But the software update rollout -- the "official release" -- actually will begin tonight (Wednesday, PDT) and take place over the next few days.

0 Likes
thomasrd2

That was the official release from Verizon, how can you say that it isn't??

Yes I know the update was released 10 minutes ago.

0 Likes