Wet phone - now not connecting to network / touchscreen not working. Help!
chasincaroline

My cell phone swam in the river with me this weekend and we have been drying it out for a few days now. We placed it in a bag of rice and my bf cleaned the insides (including the motherboard) with alcohol to remove further moisture. My phone turns on now but different parts of it works sometimes. At first I was able to connect to WiFi but wasn't able to get it to connect to Network (so no incoming/outgoing calls or texts). Now it turns on but tells me I have a "Whats App" error and need to update time / date (it is off now) but I can no longer swipe or select options to do a factory reset.

What else can we try? Or is the phone toast? My SD card works great and got all my fantastic pictures and videos from the weekend but haven't been able to do anything else. It becomes overheated when on so now I keep it off but plugged in to charge. Now that it is fully charged I took it apart again and put it back in the bag of rice.

0 Likes
Re: Wet phone - now not connecting to network / touchscreen not working. Help!
rcschnoor
Legend

First thing you should do is to remove the battery. If it still does not work after a week or so in the rice, you should probably start looking for a new phone. If you are not eligible for a discounted upgrade, you could try looking at Swappa.com.

0 Likes
chasincaroline

Ok I'll leave it sitting in the rice longer then. My contract ends 8/24 so I'll upgrade at that point. Thanks!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you sure that's your contract end date or just your upgrade eligibility date?

If it is your contract end date, you would already be eligible for a phone at the subsidized price.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

chasincaroline

I was eligible for an upgrade in April but the problem is that I lose my unlimited data if I upgrade to the S4. I'm waiting out for my 2 years to end on 8/24 because then I can go to Sprint if Verizon can't work with me on keeping an unlimited plan or high data plan for less.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Chasincaroline,

Oh no! Sorry to hear about your phone. I know its important to have a working phone. Let's get this resolved. Did you have insurance on the line http://bit.ly/xB4iTc ? How much data are you using? 95% of VZW customers use less than 2GB of data. Are you in this group? Keep me posted

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes