Watch Live TV and Sports On DX?
Android_Freak

Is there an app or a way to do this?

0 Likes
Re: Watch Live TV and Sports On DX?
Matchory

Yes.  Just get a slingbox.  The most basic model is good enough for the droid x.  You can find them all over the internet.  They range in price.  Expect to pay at least $100.

Then download the slingbox software from the market.  It's $29.99 and connects you to your slingbox over 3g or wifi.

So the actual slingbox hardware connects to your home network and your cable or dish receiver. 

You can control everything like you do with your remote, including accessing the DVR, and it shows up on your phone.

I watched the game yesterday while I was at work.  Works great with very good quality even when wifi is not available.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

I'd expect more options for live TV once FLASH is supported with FROYO 2.2    ....  There are some "live tv" web sites, buy most require FLASH support.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

There is the TV app that you might like

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2
Do you know the name of the actual app?
0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Cody21 wrote:
Do you know the name of the actual app?

TV.com is the app. Do a search in the market and you'll find it. There is CBS sports on there and some other TV programs

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Ah, yes ... I installed that App ...  but that is NOT "live" TV like what the OP (and me) was asking about.   There is also a site called www.channelchooser.com/tv/mobile   ....  but the file types are not (yet) supported ...  Some of them require (I think) FLASH .. others are WMV  ...  and also don't seem to be supported, yet.

I think what we're trying to get around is that ridiculous $10/month charge that Verizon is now charing for VCAST just to watch a broadcast of an NFL game --- that is already BROADCAST for FREE on TV on CBS, ESPN, etc...   IMHO.

0 Likes
Matchory

You won't be able to find a better solution than slingbox.  If you want to watch live tv then get one.  It is the same experience as flipping channels on your home TV except on a smaller screen. 

It's just the cost of the slingbox and software and then it's free from that point on.  Make use of your unlimited data.  I know I am.  I'm trying to go for some type of record for data use.

Really though, you will not find a better solution.  VCAST is no good.  And those websites that everyone else was talking about are terrible as well.

I have a summer job at a verizon store.  On downtime all I do is watch recorded TV or live games.   Now I am starting back to school and I won't have as much free time on my hands to rack up data usage  :smileysad:

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Cody21 wrote:

Ah, yes ... I installed that App ...  but that is NOT "live" TV like what the OP (and me) was asking about.   There is also a site called www.channelchooser.com/tv/mobile   ....  but the file types are not (yet) supported ...  Some of them require (I think) FLASH .. others are WMV  ...  and also don't seem to be supported, yet.

I think what we're trying to get around is that ridiculous $10/month charge that Verizon is now charing for VCAST just to watch a broadcast of an NFL game --- that is already BROADCAST for FREE on TV on CBS, ESPN, etc...   IMHO.

Well...........with 2.2. update on the way more options should become available.  After all, someone could just make an app in the market to have live TV

0 Likes
PFM
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you have a tuner card in your PC you can download Orb (www.orb.com).

0 Likes