Voice dialing via bluetooth
dk10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought 2.2 was suppose to install voice dialing via bluetooth.  After receiving the 2.2 frg01b upgrade it still doesn't work with my jawbone.  Here in California it is illegal to make a call without hands-free calling.  I am so frustrated that I'm considering a class action lawsuit.  It should be illegal to sell a phone in Ca without that feature,  I know that's extreme but I've had this phone since Dec. with continual promises "that will be included in the next release".  Tell me that I'm doing something wrong and that the feature is there or that it's in frg22 and I'll figure out a way to download it.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Voice dialing via bluetooth
dk10
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally able to get it working using Choice Dialer.  Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

A class action lawsuit isn't going to get you anywhere as the Froyo update DOES include bluetooth voice dialing. http://www.androidcentral.com/froyo-feature-bluetooth-voice-dialing.  From googling it looks like the jawbones are quirky.  There are some suggestions here though

0 Likes
OldPilot
Contributor - Level 1

Get this app: http://www.androidtapp.com/choice-dialer/

Then, replace the stock voice dialer with Choice Dialer. I have a Jawbone Icon and it works fine with this new dialer. Yes, the app costs $4.00 but I feel that's a small investment AND the developer responds quickly to e-mails and suggestions.

0 Likes
dk10
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately I don't have a jawbone icon, I only have a jawbone 2.

0 Likes
dk10
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will jawbone updateror mytalk work on jb2 or only on icon?

0 Likes
OldPilot
Contributor - Level 1

Your Jawbone will work fine. I still have the original Jawbone and that's linked to my phone also. The phone doesn't care what brand it is -- but Choice Dialer seems to work a whole lot better than the stock one.

0 Likes
JerryHam

For the original poster: It is not illegal to make a call while driving without handsfree dialing in California. It is illegal to be ON a call without handsfree. If you look up the law, they actually have provisions in there saying you can still dial but must talk handsfree. That said, the Voice Dial over BT that comes with 2.2 is really junk. I've had all kinds of problems with it in the car (and my 5 year old WinMo 5 phone could do this fine). Today I tried to call my wife twice (call Cherie Ham on cell) and both times it came up with "dial xxx-yyyy" (some random number that was not even in my contact list). I finally had to say, "dial aaa-bbb-cccc" (her number) instead of her name and it got it right. Anyway, best of luck on it when you get a headset that works with it, but don't expect it to work too well. I've read other places that there are much better voice dialers in the Market. Some of them even have CONFIRMATION before it dials a number.

0 Likes
dk10
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I stand corrected.  Although it doesn't make much sense to dial a number and then not be able to talk to the person on the other end.

0 Likes
dk10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just found an old motorla h700 headset.  After charging it and pairing it, it works just fine.  Must be something with the jawbone.

0 Likes
dk10
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally able to get it working using Choice Dialer.  Thanks for your help.

0 Likes