Voice call activation using bluetooth
Mango

The recent update to the droid that enables the user's bluetooth to have voice activation in making a call is a huge help as I miss my old phone's system.  However, the new system does not allow a cancellation or change of direction - in other words a fail safe to prevent your call from going to a defaulted number and/or if it recognizes a name that is different from whom you stated it will begin dialing straight away.  My EnV's system went something like this...

Phone:  "Please say a a command"

Me: "Call Jennifer Home"

Phone: "Did you say call Jennifer home?"

Me: "Yes"

Phone: "Calling Jennifer home"

or...

Phone:  "Please say a command"

Phone: "Did you say call Debbie Cell?"

Me: "No"

Phone: "Did you say call Debbie home?"

Phone: "Did you say call Danny Cell?"

Phone: "Sorry your command was not recognized.  Please try again" (or some such statement I may not be exact)

So... try again...

Phone:  "Please say a command"

Phone: "Did you say call Jennifer Cell?"

Phone: "Did you say call Jennifer Home?"

Me: "Yes"

Phone: "Calling Jennifer Home"

Currently the system will just call the incorrect number which can be exceptionally awkward if you are unable to disconnect in time to end the transfer.

It is my hope that Verizon will see this message and help to ammend this issue with the current system.  I do love that I am now able to call using voice activation from my bluetooth however this is a small glitch that I would really like to see fixed.

Thank you,

Mango

0 Likes
Re: Voice call activation using bluetooth
moates
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion. I will be sure to pass it along!

0 Likes
OldPilot
Contributor - Level 1

You can get around this by spending under $4.00 for Choice Dialer+ in the app market. I had the same issues, missed my old Env3 for that reason. As soon as I got the Choice Dialer I was able to use my Jawbone bluetooth and phone hands-free legally. The developer is very responsive to comments and suggestions. The latest update repeats the command just like you're used to. It was the first app I paid for and I feel it's been a good investment. The stock voice dialer on the Droid is apparently designed by Motorola and Google so Verizon pretty much has nothing to do with it other than allowing it on the phone.

0 Likes
bob2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Voice Dialer HF will be going BT compatable in a few weeks. Their current version which works through the phone speaker is far superior to Voice Dialer +. VD+ has very poor voice recognition in my opinion.

0 Likes
scottshad
This is for both BOTB & bob2, guys, people want to use the voice command without using blue tooth or having to by an app. I sincerely believe that Verizon really messed up with they designed these phones and the they surely did not check out all the software before selling to the unknowing public.
You know, I paid $200 for each of our phones, and one would think for that kind of $$$ you would get a FULL SERVICE phone.
To make matters even worse, before buying, I talked to the service reps over the phone and here online and they assured me that voice calling worked fine! I wonder how many will die or get hurt because the voice calling does not work right.
May all verizon people sleep well.......
0 Likes
OldPilot
Contributor - Level 1

You had the 30 days to return your phone for a full refund, as I seriously considered when I found that indeed Motorola had not included hands-free calling and Verizon covered up the fact.  I have no problem paying for a quality application but that's just me.

As for not wanting bluetooth, what exactly is the point of hands-free dialing when you have to physically pick up the phone while driving and speak into it like a walkie-talkie? Unless you're trying to emulate Capt. Kirk.

The included Google Voice does that job -- poorly, but it's there. I just upgraded my Jawbone software and now my navigation speaks directions in my ear rather than through the speaker.

If you need constant hand-holding from a company instead of doing some upgrading on your own, good luck with that.

0 Likes
bob2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think the Droid is great. My wife has the Droid 2 and loves it. You have to be somewhat of a techy in order to get used to it.

I am now using VLINGO with a Plantronics Voyager Plus. It works great.

0 Likes
scottshad

we were thinking that you turn on the speaker phone and go from there.
the voice dialing did not become an issure until well after the 30 days which is surely MY FAULT.
but i am not trying to be coy here, I just think verizon really miss the ball on this.

and I "think" you your spelling is off  on the latin

I believe the correct spelling is Nil illegitimi carborundum --to many "u"s

0 Likes
OldPilot
Contributor - Level 1

I was possibly a {word filter avoidance}
but oh well. I agree that Verizon messed up, as my sales rep repeatedly assured me that my bluetooth would work and we all know what was the actual situation until Froyo 2.2 came out.

Thanks for the spelling advice -- sometimes my brain is not fully engaged with the fingers at 0400 hrs.

0 Likes
scottshad
I surely was not trying to be jerk or anything by telling about the spelling, and to be honest, I found it because I googled your latin saying so I would know what you were talking about!!!
Also I found a great app for free that you don't have to use bluetooth!!!!
it is call VLINGO there is a free and paid version, I am using the free and so far it has worked well.
0 Likes