Re: Video not playing (mp4, Youtube, etc.)
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
You're videos might be corupted...
0 Likes
JMWTech

I too am having troubles with media files, specifically .mp4 files.  The video files that are not playing used to play prior to the 2.2 update.  I encoded them my self and the resolution is far below the max resolution of the Droid.  The error I get is "Cannot play video, Sorry, this video cannot be played.

In an effort to make sure the files weren't corrupted I copied them back to my desktop where they play fine with VLC.  I also copied another video file from my desktop to the Droid and it also threw the same error.

As I stated these videos used to play and now they don't.  But in case some one can tell me why they don't play based off of the file details I'll include those:

Video

Frame width: 368

Frane height: 208

Data Rate: 595kbps

Total bitrate 723kbps

Frame rate 29 frames/second

Audio

Bit rate: 127kbps

Channels 2(stereo)

Audio sample rate: 24kHz

I should also mention that 3gpp videos play just fine.

So far I havn't had any problems with music or pictures.  Though I should point out that the music I listen to is just straight MP3 (no DRM).  Youtube video's seem to not play most of the time after the 2.2 update.  I now get "This video is not available on mobile."  I just figured that was a new policy that Youtube enacted for some videos.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
dmad1rulz

I was trying to look for the post I had made about this, but I can't find it.

In any case, I actually had the same issue until I did 2 things. First, the ever reliable battery pull. The other one was to connect the phone to the computer and browse the folders the files are in.

There is some lag from when you open up the gallery. Wait a few seconds, and your files should show up and you should be able to play them.

For YouTube, I just did a battery pull for it and it pretty much fixed it.

0 Likes
JMWTech

I'm not sure if you are having the same problem we are having.  From my research it seems that a lot of people are having this problem and it may be possible that the video player features were reduced in 2.2.  That being said there are numerous (4?) 2.2 builds for the Droid and you may have an old one where the video playback isn't affected.

0 Likes
JMWTech

Long story short I talked with Verizon tech support.  They fumbled around for about 15 mins then told me to call motorola [removed phone number].  I called moto, got to 2nd tier support and she had me rest the phone.  The problem persisted and she told me to have Verizon replace the phone.  I called back to Verizon and they said that they could send out a replacement but couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't be a refurbished phone (I've had bad experiences with refurbished phones).  

Both the Verizon reps were pleasant but I asked to speak to a supervisor.  The last one told me that she would say the same thing to me but I still asked to speak with her.  I'm currently awaiting a call back.

Good luck to you, but a reset didn't fix mine.

0 Likes
Tquinn

I had the same problems. My Droid could play .wmv files till the operating system update.  Tried everything still couldn't get the files to run.  I was able to do an 'end run' around the problem. I found a free converter program (DVDvideosoft Free Studio) that changed the .wmv files to .3gp format (use 'standard quality... H263, 12 fps 176x144 AMR' when doing the conversion.... 'high quality' will not run) and the resulting files now play.   Still wish the droid people would fix the bug they introduced.  The image quality from the converted file does not appear as good as the .wmv file (or at least from what I remember).

0 Likes
JMWTech

I find that solution unacceptable.  .MP4 format is far superior and I bought the product partly because it was able to play the .MP4 format.  I tried to stress my dissatisfaction and they offered to replace my phone with a refurbished one but I've had bad experiences with refurbished products.  I'm not sure I'm satisfied at this point with their solution... Hopefully an update comes out that fixes the problem.

0 Likes
dmad1rulz

I can't remember if I have any MP4 formatted videos loaded on my phone right now, but once I get home, I'll load one on my phone and test it. I'll post the result of my test later. I did have a few videos that only had sound and no video, but I couldn't remember the format.

0 Likes
dmad1rulz
Well, as promised, as soon as I got home, I transferred a MP4-formatted video on my phone and it worked just fine... so yeah, not sure why yours is not functioning right.
0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
Mine worked just fine with mp4 before I got the 2.
0 Likes