Re: Verizon to offer Droid 2 as replacement?
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

The Droid 2 is a decent upgrade from a stock Droid 1.  The processor is clocked almost twice as fast (1GHz v 550Mhz), has 8GB of internal app storage (v 256MB on the original), much improved keyboard (no dpad and more spread out keyboard) and better stock android virtual keyboard and Swype from the factory.  Only downside is the Blur-esque skin that Motorola has insisted on putting on the Droid X and Droid 2.  From playing around with them at the store it tends to bog things down but a launcher replacement like Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher can fix most of that.  The droid 2 does have a few issues related to wifi and exchange though.

0 Likes
rndavis

Just opened the box and "NO" I did not receive a Droid2 as a replacement for my defective Droid1

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
I just received my 4th replacment (5th phone). Droid 1.

They will have a years + supply of Droid 1 because people will continue to ship in the phone and continue to "fix" them.
0 Likes
rpdl62

I know that with the Droid2 (as well as Droid X) you will have to pay a monthly fee to use the Navigation features - it's called "VZ Navigator" and currently goes for $9.99/mo. . The original Droid includes the SAME THING, by a different name, for free.

I saw this Posted elsewhere and found that it helped with my "fancy piece of plastic", perhaps it will with yours as well:

If your voice sounds muffled on the Droid -

On your keypad, input  ##7764726

Touch "Send" - the Green Telephone Receiver

It will ask for a password - input 000000 (6 zeros)

Select  "04 Vocode"

Select  EVRC-B

Press  "Apply"

Your Droid may restart.

This may make the voice clearer for your given area - if not (or you travel someplace where your voice(s) once again sound muffled) keep this information at hand and switch back to the default  EVRC.

We are still waiting for the Adobe Flash 10.1 Upgrade and then it's the wait game for the 4G upgrade...but will be waiting it out with our first choice - The Original Motorola Droid :smileysurprised:)

~ God Bless ALL ~

Rob62/rpdl62

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
@rpdl62

Not true with the navigation.

Droid X and Droid 2 still let you use Google Navigation (free)... but have the option of Verizon Nav.
0 Likes
capvl99

Thanks rpdl62.  I will try that.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Cob is correct.  The Droid X and Droid 2 both come with the free Google Nav software like the Droid.  It's included on ALL Android 1.6+ devices.  VZ Navigator is verizon's software and has more features causing some people to prefer it over Google Nav.

As for changing the VOCODE, EVRC-B doesn't work everywhere. After you change it, make sure you can make a call otherwise you'll need to switch it back.  I've been using the 13k option and it seems to work better than the standard EVRC.

0 Likes
capvl99

PJNC284 - I am not real techy.  What do you mean by 13k option?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

on the screen where you change to EVRC-B, there are 3 options: 13k, EVRC, and EVRC-B.  EVRC-B wasn't supported in my area and everytime I tried to make a call, it would fail.  Tried 13k and haven't had the echo or barrel sound that I was getting before.

0 Likes
JDO201

a friend of mine had the same problem. he was using a hard case though that was partially obstructing the mic so people didn't hear him well on calls. he took off the case and the problem was solved

j

0 Likes