Verizon's baffling, messy strategy for the Droid Incredible
dimanchi

The shortage of Droid Incredible phones is no news to everyone, and neither is, by all accounts, Verizon's confusing strategy of dealing with it.

Customer sales representatives throwing out random shipping dates, CEOs blaming each other for lack of parts - it is one big, messy PR disaster.

Now, one argument in its defence is that Verizon could not have predicted such demand and they are simply working around the clock to meet it. Whatever. I don't buy it.

What baffles me is this: The Incredible is arguably the most advanced smartphone on the mainstream market currently available. This in itself is a huge boost to Verizon. And that is precisely the problem.

The official shipping date now appears to be 6/7 (according to the website), when both the iPhone HD will be announced and the Sprint EVO will be out. Isn't this shooting itself in the foot? By the time most people get the phone, the Incredible will be old news - and, frankly, if Sprint/AT&t are options, why get the Incredible when you can have the EVO? Or, heck, even the new iPhone. 

This isn't an issue for most people, but for early adopters getting a 2nd best device defeats the purpose, doesn't it?!

Does anyone else feel the same about this fiasco or am I the only one?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon's baffling, messy strategy for the Droid Incredible
shipwrestler125
Enthusiast - Level 3

What do you want Verizon to do? They cannot make the phones magically appear in their warehouses it is not their fault HTC cannot keep up with demand I dont know how that is shooting themselves in the foot? I mean if they made the devices then it would be a different story but there will be people who want one of the other 2 phones mentioned no matter what and those who will complain its just how things are.

0 Likes
dimanchi

What do I want Verizon to do?

Have a fair communication strategy. I am not asking them to push HTC to make the phones faster, all I am asking is, from a corporate perspective, to communicate effective, reliable information to customers who have paid for the phone.

That means not promise one thing, post another thing on their website and do something else entirely.

And no - it's not "just how things are". Not in the rest of the world, at least. 

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

dimanchi wrote 

Customer sales representatives throwing out random shipping dates, CEOs blaming each other for lack of parts - it is one big, messy PR disaster.

Now, one argument in its defence is that Verizon could not have predicted such demand and they are simply working around the clock to meet it. Whatever. I don't buy it.

The official shipping date now appears to be 6/7 (according to the website), when both the iPhone HD will be announced and the Sprint EVO will be out. Isn't this shooting itself in the foot? By the time most people get the phone, the Incredible will be old news - and, frankly, if Sprint/AT&t are options, why get the Incredible when you can have the EVO? Or, heck, even the new iPhone.

This isn't an issue for most people, but for early adopters getting a 2nd best device defeats the purpose, doesn't it?!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not me. I got my Motorola.  You didn't supply any evidence for your arguments.  A shipping date has always been posted on the web site.  This is tthe fastest way to access information.  As an early adopter, you should know this.

And you don't "buy" that they are trying to sell a phone, as many as possible.  Hmm...

As for as the current ship date, many people ordered and received early.  This is what early adopters do; unless they are out of the country  or convalescing.  From what I see, the ship date is overstated, in order for Verizon to protect themselves.  That has been users experience from what I've read.  CEO's blaming each other and fair communication strategy?  I read the CEO McAdams said  Samsung couldn't supply the screens fast enough.  I don't think this was a put-down.  Haven't read any others, but here's a story:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2010/05/component_short.html

The Nexus One is supposed to be the phone for early adopters.  Supply is plentiful.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

dimanchi wrote:

What do I want Verizon to do?

Have a fair communication strategy. I am not asking them to push HTC to make the phones faster, all I am asking is, from a corporate perspective, to communicate effective, reliable information to customers who have paid for the phone.

Fair communication strategy?  The web site gives a date every day.  Lowell McAdams, CEO, and the phone are in the news everyday.  It's on Google; that's the search engine on a compute and now on your phoner.  You can subscribe to RSS feeds.  You will receive updates everyday.  There are plentiful podcasts.  There is not a shortage of info out there.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

dimanchi wrote:

The shortage of Droid Incredible phones is no news to everyone, and neither is, by all accounts, Verizon's confusing strategy of dealing with it.

Since you are an early adopter,  you wouldn't want the Incredible anyway.  It's already two weeks old and upcoming phones are sure to surpass it.  So here's an early heads up so you'll be prepared for the next wave. 5 LTE phones  a year from now:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64E01P20100517?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&utm_source...

0 Likes
dimanchi

"There is no shortage of info out there"

Yes but Info is all over the place!!

The point is NOT that the ship date is June 1, or June 7, or even December 31 for that matter. I don't care. Let them take their time.

The point is that, customer sales reps say one thing, the website says another and if I go to the store I get some other nebulous information.

And this has been consistent. 

Yeah people get it early - so what? My problem is not the wait, it is the fact no one has a clue what is going on.

0 Likes
dimanchi

Steve -

thanks for the link. That's the way to approach things.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

dimanchi wrote:

Yeah people get it early - so what? My problem is not the wait, it is the fact no one has a clue what is going on.

Sorry, seems like this is the case with every big company, except maybe Apple.  They just lose the phones.  The reps are human and go by what they hear; rumors are always all over the place.  Look at the Eris update.  The only regular thing I have noticed is that people get it earlier than the web site date on a regular date.   But I'm not a Verizon rep so take that with a grain of salt.  All you can go by is what's official; then sometimes that's inadequate. With the phone selling so well, I imagine Verizon is a frenzy and some people want to tell people anything.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

dimanchi wrote:

Steve -

thanks for the link. That's the way to approach things.

You're quite welcome.  Let's not make this a chat room. And good luck with your next phone; whatever it may be.  I love the Motorola in most ways, but it's shortcomings (bluetooth, true for all current Androids except Devour because Motorola installed special software) are still aggravating.  No current phone is anywhere near complete IMO.

0 Likes