VZW announces the Incredible on their website today!
albiewan
0 Likes
Re: VZW announces the Incredible on their website today!
TheDobo

Honestly, I've moved on.... how long will it be before they have issues, need to update, or for that matter spend any amount of time getting something out OTA which will frustrate the hell outta customers.

I'm going back to a Windows 6.x phone.... it may be Microsoft, but at least you know what you get and don't have to rely on lackluster support and updates form an over burdened tech dept.

And before I get blamed for sparking yet another VZW bashing thread, I've been with T-Mobile and AT&T throughout the years, and believe me, the grass is no greener over there..... at least you can change plans with VZW, that's the biggest selling point to me....

0 Likes
albiewan

I have to admit that T-Mobile's HTC HD2 is really tempting me to switch because of that phone.  Android is great but I am much more interested in the device itself.  Tell me about your experience with T Mobile as far as quality of coverage and network.  Thanks!

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

TheDobo wrote:

Honestly, I've moved on.... how long will it be before they have issues, need to update, or for that matter spend any amount of time getting something out OTA which will frustrate the hell outta customers.

I'm going back to a Windows 6.x phone.... it may be Microsoft, but at least you know what you get and don't have to rely on lackluster support and updates form an over burdened tech dept.

And before I get blamed for sparking yet another VZW bashing thread, I've been with T-Mobile and AT&T throughout the years, and believe me, the grass is no greener over there..... at least you can change plans with VZW, that's the biggest selling point to me....

To me this is funny.  Since Windows is notoriously slow with updates.  People are only frustrated with the Droid update because they know it exists and they don't understand how the updates work.  The problem is with phones and what not the rumors get out months before the announcements and one phone launches with new cool version and then everyone has to play catch up.  Since it has to be modified by the manufacturers it takes longer for it to reach some new phones.  The Incredible will launch with Android 2.1 Android 2.2 won't be far off it is true and Froyo is possibly just a couple of months away and everyone will be mad that no one is gettting that update the day it comes out. 

Seriously the Droid launched with 2.0 and about a month later got 2.0.1 which addressed some of the issues.  Those repair updates seem to go out quickly and don't require lengthy development.  It is the major updates that take serious time. 

I will say if bluetooth voice dial is important to you then Android is not for you at least not yet. 

0 Likes
TheDobo

I'm originally from Europe and used t-mobile over there for quite some time, however O2 and Vodafone (Verizon) seemed to rule the roost in recent years so I moved between the 2 (work and personal phones) for the last few yrs there.

5yrs ago I moved to the East Coast, got AT&T and within 2mths regretted it (VERY long story) so as soon as I could get out of the contract I did and looked around for options.  By this stage I was in Denver, CO and after a friend recommended t-mobile I got a BB Curve for work and a Pearl for personal use, both of which had signal issues / roaming problems for the 2  weeks I had them.  The reason (they say) was due to the altitude I was at (...really?!) and the solution was to buy a hotspot or go onto my home WiFi for VoIP when within range..... ridiculous!!!!

I then moved to Verizon (as GSM networks are affected by mass obstruction... CDMA is not... well, not in the same manner at least) and I have to admit have used them for work and personal phone, data, web access and so on from Denver to Boston over the last 18mths without a hitch..... except that, the phones suck!  Yes I did opt for higher end models than the BB's.... but isn't that what I'm paying for?

Comparatively, t-mobile (on the East Coast) have a decent range.... although you will still hit bad spots due to mass.... like in Northern PA for example... but near Boston, New York and even Providence... I hear they're pretty good.

Anyway, that's my experience; let me know if you need further specifics (Price plans... Customer Service.... etc.)

0 Likes
TheDobo

fezzik wrote:

To me this is funny.  Since Windows is notoriously slow with updates.  People are only frustrated with the Droid update because they know it exists and they don't understand how the updates work.  The problem is with phones and what not the rumors get out months before the announcements and one phone launches with new cool version and then everyone has to play catch up.  Since it has to be modified by the manufacturers it takes longer for it to reach some new phones.  The Incredible will launch with Android 2.1 Android 2.2 won't be far off it is true and Froyo is possibly just a couple of months away and everyone will be mad that no one is gettting that update the day it comes out. 

Seriously the Droid launched with 2.0 and about a month later got 2.0.1 which addressed some of the issues.  Those repair updates seem to go out quickly and don't require lengthy development.  It is the major updates that take serious time. 

I will say if bluetooth voice dial is important to you then Android is not for you at least not yet. 

Point taken.... and I get what you mean with the update announcements getting out there super-early.  I'm refering to the fact that I can update the windows phones myself, without having to wait for OTA stuff from big red.... relativly without risk.  I've done it before... it doesn't ruin my cred / support from VZW and I can run the majority of apps  that I need from the MS Marketplace.

Having said that.... if I had to rely on VZW themselves for these types of updates and support.... I'd be gone like a flash.... probably to Sprint... (per previous experience with the other carriers.... see previous post)

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

TheDobo wrote:

fezzik wrote:

Point taken.... and I get what you mean with the update announcements getting out there super-early.  I'm refering to the fact that I can update the windows phones myself, without having to wait for OTA stuff from big red.... relativly without risk.  I've done it before... it doesn't ruin my cred / support from VZW and I can run the majority of apps  that I need from the MS Marketplace.

Having said that.... if I had to rely on VZW themselves for these types of updates and support.... I'd be gone like a flash.... probably to Sprint... (per previous experience with the other carriers.... see previous post)

Yeah.  I updated my Droid myself.  The day it started going out there was a link to the file.  It was the official file I just followed the instructions and bingo.  Later I guess when my turn came up I got an e-mail from Verizon confirming/thanking me for updating my phone. 

I remember when Windows Mobile 5 came out for PDA's.  I had to wait forever for HP to get the one ready for my PDA.  Similar deal.  I guess it is just odd to me that they are only at 6.5 now with 7 coming out and coming soon to 6.5 devices. 

What I would like to see is for it to be more like getting an update in other Linux os'es where you can update or leave it or whatever but it would be available through the market or through an update manager (like in the market).  It seems that the drivers should just stay the same for all the hardware and the Android system would just update around them and then pull them in.  My laptop isn't the same as other laptops and the hardware is very different but I don't have to wait for Compaq to build my Linux distros for me when an upgrade comes out.  I suppose this comes down to integration and the difference is a typical operating system on a computer takes up at least a gig these days where as Android takes up around 200 meg.   I suppose integrating the hardware drivers and what for all phones making it easier to update would make it much larger. Also a lot of the system information is stored on the Bios but with Android the Bios is also where the OS is stored.  I would like to see those built into different systems perhaps so that we could update as soon as the new os is released by Google. 

Dreams and lolipops I guess but 2.0.1 was fine for me.  2.1-update 1 didn't really do a lot for me.  Really if I didn't know it was coming and didn't know it had been out and available for a long time I wouldn't have cared because it was working fine for me. 2.1 added some cool features and did help battery life but if I had never gotten it the only thing I would have been upset about was knowing what was in the new version. 

0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

Anyone know the log-in and password?

0 Likes
dag1911

It was open to the public first thing this morning.  Then I tried it again a couple hours later and thats when it said I needed a username and password.  I got to see it with my very own eyes...I think they are for real this time!!  Bout time suckers.

And no I don't know the credentials to get in. :smileyindifferent:

0 Likes
albiewan
Thanks my friend, you've told me all I need to know.
0 Likes