VZ Navigator v. Droid Navigation App
donnadimeo

I am thinking of getting a Droid X. I really need navigation. I have a couple of questions:

1) Does is cost extra to get VZ Navigator?

2) If I get a Droid can't I just get a navigation app?

Thanks,

donnad

0 Likes
Re: VZ Navigator v. Droid Navigation App
Willyoman

Droid has a navagation system built in and its free because it uses google maps. vz nav. costs $$$$ and it is not built into the phone. i recommend just using the google nav. it is more accurate than my TomTom!

0 Likes
mjtimko

donnadimeo wrote:

I am thinking of getting a Droid X. I really need navigation. I have a couple of questions:

1) Does is cost extra to get VZ Navigator?

2) If I get a Droid can't I just get a navigation app?

Thanks,

donnad

1) Yes, VZW feels compelled to charge 9.99 (per month) for their GPS.  I would never pay for it and I think Google's app is far better because it offers street view.  Street view allows you to see the actual streets in turn by turn guidance.

2) Because the Android Phones have GPS or what Google calls Navigation Beta, I have never looked in the Market to see if there are competing navigation apps.  Unless there free, like Navigation Beta, then I would not see the appeal in them.

if you want to pay, then you might as well get VZW's app.

0 Likes
Willyoman

The Built in navigation app is also voice activated and you can use voice search to just say where your going and it automatically navigates you there. If you download VZ Nav it will be a slower and space waste on the phone because the Google nav app bult in is better than any TomTom or Garmin.

0 Likes
Willyoman

I always need a GPS. I will recommend the one built on the phone by google because its way more advanced than any other and its free because you are using their services 

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

+1  ... the VZN Navigator, is a total rip-off at $9.99/mo ....

... as is their $10/mo. requirement for VCAST to get NFL   .... imho  

(we used to get VCAST for FREE with the unlimited data pkg.for non-smartphones - e.g., LG DARE that I previously had  ... so I upgrade to a Smartphone, pay another $15/mo. for the smartphone required pkg. ($30/mo.), and NOW they want yet another $10/mo. for VCAST ???    wow ....  can you say nickel & dime?)

I *do* love the DROID X though.  

0 Likes