Unable to Assign Ringtones
mole555

Greetings!

I'm new to this forum, but was hoping someone has an answer to my problem. I just got my new Droid Incredible this week, and am trying to assign different ringtones to different contacts. I go through the process, call up the edit contact info, assign a new ringtone, and then when I go back to look at the contact, it reverts to the default ringtone. WHY? Only a few contacts allowed me to change ringtones, but the majority revert back to default.

Can anyone help?

Thanks...

0 Likes
Re: Unable to Assign Ringtones
mole555

UPDATE: After probing the problem some more, I'm finding that the only contacts I can assign ringtones to are the ones who are my friends on Facebook, which is only 10% of my contact list. Does this help? 

Thanks...

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Tones can be assigned to any contact you have.

Are you trying to attach ringtones from those preloaded to the phone or tones you brought over from another phone? If you are bringing them over, let me know and I will walk you through it.

0 Likes
mrlogs

Yes..I was trying to do that also..assign different ringtones to different contacts..I'm waiting to hear how it's done too..

Thanks!

0 Likes
mole555

I've tried assigning both pre-loaded ringtones and ones I created, and neither can be assigned to contacts that are not Facebook friends. I went to the Verizon Store, and they didn't have a solution, either. They think it could be an OS issue that might be resolved with an update, which isn't available for Droid Incredible yet. 

However, if you have any other suggestions, I'll try anything.

Thanks...

0 Likes
budone
Legend

mrlogs wrote:

Yes..I was trying to do that also..assign different ringtones to different contacts..I'm waiting to hear how it's done too..

Thanks!

If the different ringtones are on your SD card, Go into programs and choose "Music"

Music will show album covers. Choose the "List" option (Three horizontal line button.

See if the ring tones are listed. If so click to play it. Now hit Menu" and choose "Set as Ringtone"  From this page you can choose a ringtone for the phone, a contact, or there is an option to take a loaded song and trim it into a ringtone.

Click ringtone for contact, choose the contact/contacts you want the tone for and hit save.

If not listed scroll to the bottom of the list to, "Unknown artists" the ringtones will be in that folder. Follow the instructions above to set for a contact.

Any questions, give me a holler.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

mole555 wrote:

I've tried assigning both pre-loaded ringtones and ones I created, and neither can be assigned to contacts that are not Facebook friends. I went to the Verizon Store, and they didn't have a solution, either. They think it could be an OS issue that might be resolved with an update, which isn't available for Droid Incredible yet. 

However, if you have any other suggestions, I'll try anything.

Thanks...

For preloaded ringtones, Choose people, from the main screen, choose your contact, click on down arrow for ringtones, choose the ringtone you want. And hit OK. It work for FB and non FB contacts.

0 Likes
mole555

The problem, I found, was a 3rd party app called Missing Sync that I was using to sync my Mac media and contacts. Once I removed this application, and uploaded my contacts from Address Book to gMail, I could then assign ringtones to individuals, and they're now "sticking" with that contact.

Thanks for all the help!!

0 Likes
TLBauer3617
Contributor - Level 1

I am having a similar situation.  I connected my HTC Incredible to my PC and mounted the SD card.  I created a folder called "ringtones" and copied all of my favorite ringtones to that folder.  When I open a contact, I can see these ringtones; can play them; and even assign them to contacts.

However, when one of these contacts calls me the ringtone assigned to them is not used.  I am getting the default ringtone for all calls (which happens also to be one of the ringtones that I copied to the SD card).

Any idea what the problem could be here?

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

I was having that issue on my Droid.  I had a special ringtone for my wife.  It wasn't something I downloaded it was a stock ringtone but with 2.1 it only used the special ringtone occasionally most of the time it didn't.  I haven't tried with the Incredible yet.  I just now set her ringtone to something different and she hasn't called me yet. 

0 Likes