Re: USB Connection Issue
Wildman
Legend

Windows 7 x32

0 Likes
PiperCrab
Contributor - Level 1

Lol at you people who complain about stuff that don't affect you whatsoever. Maybe if you had installed it your phone wouldn't be having a problem. Like another poster said, the only thing it does is open up an annoying webpage that can be turned off. Our phones are loaded with crap that can't be removed, but I just ignore them and move along. MotoConnect isn't going to destroy your system ya know.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

PiperCrab wrote:

Lol at you people who complain about stuff that don't affect you whatsoever. Maybe if you had installed it your phone wouldn't be having a problem. Like another poster said, the only thing it does is open up an annoying webpage that can be turned off. Our phones are loaded with crap that can't be removed, but I just ignore them and move along. MotoConnect isn't going to destroy your system ya know.

I knew this wasn't going anywhere, I wasn't complaining, I just asked a question, its people like you that keep me employed, I have worked in the IT field and as a security consultant  and know that  installing applications to a system that solely has no reason for even being there can easily lead to security vulnerabilities and allow hackers to exploit a systems flaw, nor saying this app does this but its has no true reason to be installed, I do not have a issue with a application installing that is require but this feature isn't needed but the system does not try to give you a option, this is my issue. You are probably one of those individuals that believe that installing useless apps just because they was on the cd even if you don't even know what it is even for...  Let me send you a link to one of my web sites so I can still you identity off your pc. I WOULDN'T DO THIS BUT IT IS POSSIBLE. This is why stolen identity is a high rising crime because you make it so easy.

Besides I reported that the software had a bug that I could not resolve, so my device is being replaced.

Another thing if you do not have any helpful response, what is your point.  This what I get for expecting I would get a intelligent response.

Update: I resolved this issue by extracting driver from exe and install it without installing MotoConnect and my device is connecting without issues now.

0 Likes
bestresearcher

Hi, Wildman:

I have a Droid X and a windows home vista laptop (64 bit). The most recent Android 2.2 update screwed me up--I also (I think) compounded the problem by using Motoconnect.  My USB will not recognize the SD card in USB storage mode, as the card is not then mounted.  I have tried the other USB options on the phone (e.g. pc mode, windows media sync, even the charge option), nothing works. Yes, the card is "mounted" in those other USB modes, and  I can (except in USB mode) see the sd card on my laptop. But, in any event , I cannot transfer files to or from the sdcard.

You said you had a solution (if I understood correctly)---Can you S-L-O-W-L-Y walk me through it, please?  And, is there anyway to get Motoconnect/Motohelper off my phone forever? I can remove it from my computer but it keeps reinstalling on my computer whenever the now useless USB is plugged in.

By the way, I need this to transfer nonmedia files to my phone (i.e. html files, doc, txt and pdf files).

Any other solutions or apps? Thank you in advance for any help you might offer.

Phil

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

bestresearcher wrote:

Hi, Wildman:

I have a Droid X and a windows home vista laptop (64 bit). The most recent Android 2.2 update screwed me up--I also (I think) compounded the problem by using Motoconnect.  My USB will not recognize the SD card in USB storage mode, as the card is not then mounted.  I have tried the other USB options on the phone (e.g. pc mode, windows media sync, even the charge option), nothing works. Yes, the card is "mounted" in those other USB modes, and  I can (except in USB mode) see the sd card on my laptop. But, in any event , I cannot transfer files to or from the sdcard.

You said you had a solution (if I understood correctly)---Can you S-L-O-W-L-Y walk me through it, please?  And, is there anyway to get Motoconnect/Motohelper off my phone forever? I can remove it from my computer but it keeps reinstalling on my computer whenever the now useless USB is plugged in.

By the way, I need this to transfer nonmedia files to my phone (i.e. html files, doc, txt and pdf files).

Any other solutions or apps? Thank you in advance for any help you might offer.

Phil

{edited for privacy}

Originally I was using a exe decompiler app to extract only the drivers from the stock exe and walking you through that process may be a little difficult because there usually isn't any free app that can disassemble corp exe files and the ones that will work are a bit pricey but do not worry I have a new solution that should work fine for you.

I also am running Windows 7 x64 on 2 of my systems now and I looked around and seem to work well for x64 systems....  Motorola updated there installer that makes things alot easier to uninstall the MotoConnect software without issues but the dumb thing is that you have to install it first and then removes the app.

1. Down load the Motorola 4.7.1 Driver with MotoConnect from http://www.motorola.com/consumers/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=bda09ec8009a0210VgnVCM1000008806b00aRCRD and install application by double clicking on downloaded exe.

SampleSNAG.png

2. Once the installation has completed you can go into your Control Panel/Programs and Features area and uninstall JUST the MotoConnect application from the list and leave the drivers installed.

This should install all drivers needed to the system without having the MotoConnect app installed and you should be able to access card without issues and copy any type of file you want to the sd card.

0 Likes
bestresearcher

Hi, Wildman,

First, thanks for the attempted solution re the USB/motoconnect/motohelper issue. 

Second, however, I tried to do what you suggested with the new driver.  No luck.

I may very well be a dummy, but....could you please walk me through the process whereby the moto applications are removed from my PC but the new driver(s) are left therein.  I tried doing this via windows control panel (:remove programs).  By uninstalling the motorola apps, is it possible that I also uninstalled the drivers as well.  This would contradict your instrns (if that is what

occurred).  Could you please walk me through the details about removing the specific apps that need to be removed while "saving" the drivers I should be keeping?  Was control panel (remove programs) the way to go or did I screw up?

By the way, what program/app, if any, will run the USB connection one both computer and phone are linked by the USB, assuming I can overcome the problem outlined above?

Thanks again for your patience, courtesy and assistance.

Best, bestresearcher

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

1. Down load the Motorola 4.7.1 Driver with MotoConnect from http://www.motorola.com/consumers/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=bda09ec8009a0210VgnVCM1000008806b00aRCRD and install application by double clicking on downloaded exe.

SampleSNAG.png

2. Once the installation has completed you can go into your Control Panel/Programs and Features area and uninstall JUST the MotoConnect application from the list and leave the drivers installed.

11-4-2010 9-26-32 PM.png

This should install all drivers needed to the system without having the MotoConnect app installed and you should be able to access card without issues and copy any type of file you want to the sd card.

0 Likes
bestresearcher

Hi, Wildman,

I tried evrything you suggested.  All of the apps except for the drivers were deleted.

After rebooting etc, I connected the phone to the pc via usb,  Same problem.  Using the "USB mass storage" mode on the Droid X,  I end up with the following results:

1.  I can see everything on my droid x on my computer EXCEPT for the all impt sdcard (apparently unmounted in the usb mass storage mode)
2.  I can also see  as "Drive F" to my computer:

a.  autorun.inf
b. config.ini
c.  Motoconnect 1.1.31
d. setup.exe

3.  That's it unfortunately.

4.  Incidentally, in PC mode for the usb connection, the PC recognizes the Droid X but I still cannot transfer files.

My uneducated guess:  Motoconnect (on the phone) still controls the phone and is preventing the operations I want to perform with the Phone AND the PC.  There may be no solution for this bad boy unless there is some sort of substitute app for Motoconnect on the Droid  and/or some way to get rid of the (**bleep**) Motoconnect on the phone.

I value your assistance and input.  Any new ideas?

Thanks

P

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Sounds like you may be accessing the wrong drive, when the device is plugged in and in Mass Storage mode you should create two extra  drives, the drive that stores the Moto Connect drivers and software and then the SD Card drive, by your description it sounds like you are accessing the software virtual drive that appears to look like a cd rom, try looking for a drive that looks like a storage hard drive, it usually is the last drive in the list.

Hear is a couple of other things to check, make sure all the backgroud apps are closed on the device that isnt needed because I have had apps cause a issue with unit mounting correctly and also I am wondering if you are using the cable that came with the device and not on eof the extra  cables that Verizon sales because the replacement does well for charging but has issues using it to mount the device.

0 Likes