USB Connection Issue
Wildman
Legend

Since the 2.2 update I have noticed a issue with using the USB connection with a PC, if I select the SD Card option the device want to force the Moto Connect software no matter what I do and if I do not install application the device will simply mount and disconnect SD card from the system so it makes it impossible to move anything to card without placing it in a reader and place in pc.  This feature was fine in 2.1 and I was wondering if I was missing something.  I have even went as far as formatting card with no luck.

Any suggestions.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: USB Connection Issue
Wildman
Legend

PiperCrab wrote:

Lol at you people who complain about stuff that don't affect you whatsoever. Maybe if you had installed it your phone wouldn't be having a problem. Like another poster said, the only thing it does is open up an annoying webpage that can be turned off. Our phones are loaded with crap that can't be removed, but I just ignore them and move along. MotoConnect isn't going to destroy your system ya know.

I knew this wasn't going anywhere, I wasn't complaining, I just asked a question, its people like you that keep me employed, I have worked in the IT field and as a security consultant  and know that  installing applications to a system that solely has no reason for even being there can easily lead to security vulnerabilities and allow hackers to exploit a systems flaw, nor saying this app does this but its has no true reason to be installed, I do not have a issue with a application installing that is require but this feature isn't needed but the system does not try to give you a option, this is my issue. You are probably one of those individuals that believe that installing useless apps just because they was on the cd even if you don't even know what it is even for...  Let me send you a link to one of my web sites so I can still you identity off your pc. I WOULDN'T DO THIS BUT IT IS POSSIBLE. This is why stolen identity is a high rising crime because you make it so easy.

Besides I reported that the software had a bug that I could not resolve, so my device is being replaced.

Another thing if you do not have any helpful response, what is your point.  This what I get for expecting I would get a intelligent response.

Update: I resolved this issue by extracting driver from exe and install it without installing MotoConnect and my device is connecting without issues now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

Wildman wrote:

Since the 2.2 update I have noticed a issue with using the USB connection with a PC, if I select the SD Card option the device want to force the Moto Connect software no matter what I do and if I do not install application the device will simply mount and disconnect SD card from the system so it makes it impossible to move anything to card without placing it in a reader and place in pc.  This feature was fine in 2.1 and I was wondering if I was missing something.  I have even went as far as formatting card with no luck.

Any suggestions.

Hi Wildman.  I havent had that issue myself, in fact I just pluged in to see if what is happening to you may happen to me.

It did happen when I chose Windows Media Share as the USB mode, but not in USB MASS STORAGE mode. 

So, if you havent already tried.

when the usb connection is made

Pull down the notification bar

Tap the USB icon/notification

Change to USB mass storage

Once that happens, the pc will see it as any other usb storage device, just like an external HD and will not launch the moto software.  I think you only need to change it once and it will become default until you change it again.

Now you can just use windows explorer(my computer) to find the drive letter assigned and drag and drop at will.

I hope that helps.

Dj.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Mass Storage is the setting I am using and everytime the thing want to auto run the installation for the Moto app (That I will not instal) and doesnt show the Storage Dricve like it should, and when it does show the drive every time I attemp to copy items into the drive that drive usually disk connects and reconnects a second later and then pc will say drive is not present.  I never had this issue before and I do not like to use the PC Mode because items traansfer at a snails pace compared to Mass Storage Mode.

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

Wildman wrote:

Mass Storage is the setting I am using and everytime the thing want to auto run the installation for the Moto app (That I will not instal) and doesnt show the Storage Dricve like it should, and when it does show the drive every time I attemp to copy items into the drive that drive usually disk connects and reconnects a second later and then pc will say drive is not present.  I never had this issue before and I do not like to use the PC Mode because items traansfer at a snails pace compared to Mass Storage Mode.

that's weird.  The X did ask to install device drivers after 2.2 update which I allowed.  But it never asked or tried to force me to install the moto software package.

I wish i had some type of solution for you. 

If you find the issue please post it up.  Just in case there's some others with the same problem

Good luck.

Dj.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Well I contacted CS about this and they reported that they have experiance this on some devices and they asked me to Hard Reset to be sure this wasnt just a flook, and we both got to see another bug that even I did havent notice, the phone (No Matter What I Did) would automatically reinstall apps I uninstalled from device after every hard reset and some I havent used for almost a week and then force me to uninstall them again.

All settings that could cause this was disabled but it didnt care, it would put them right back every time, I did it twice just to verify, the CS rep said she heard of this being a possible issue of software auto repopulating itself to a device after being removed but she never heard of anyone reporting this issue... Oh the joy, Im special :smileyvery-happy:

Well after tring everything in the book and a few extra for luck, she offer me a option to have a replacement sent out, after this issue and the one with the USB application I decided it would be wise to have it replaced because I think this wasnt something I was going to figure out soon....  So it looks like, I have my first and hope last replacement device on its way, i should have it by Tuesday and my Extended battery should be here Monday, look like that will work out.

0 Likes
PiperCrab
Contributor - Level 1

Curious; why wouldn't you install the Moto app?

0 Likes
PacoX
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wait you aren't letting the phone install the device driver manager? Thats all I see that it installed. Or are you talking about MotoConnect? Either one is safe and isn't a burden on your resources. Its not like the iPhone that runs a large number of processes in the background once you plug it in.

Now what I find weird in my case is that in Mass Storage Mode, my PC reports that not only do I have a CD in my disk drive, I am have the SD card connected also. The only problem I had was lowering the security on my PC to let the drivers install properly.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Why would I want to install a app I have no intension if using? The only option I use is rhe Mass Storage feature and I do not see any logic in installing a app that is used to manage my media, I can choose where my files go and dont require it to sync anything. That program is a waste of time. Also I do not see the purpose of the virtual drive that the system wants to create either.

0 Likes
PacoX
Enthusiast - Level 3

Really a program to manage your card, Never seen on get installed on my machine. I have MotoConnect, but all that does is manage the driver for the phone, which only involves keeping it up to date. Nothing to manage the SD card. At first it launches a webpage everytime you connect your phone but you can easily turn that off.

Its there a program other than MotoConnect?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Like I said pointless, I didn't know what it truly did but either way its not needed, and it must do more than that if it needs to run on startup with my pc and wont allow me to disable it, if I disable it the software just starts back up when phone is plugged in... I didn't need it with 2.1 and I do not need it with 2.2.  Plus I do not like the software creating a virtual drive on my system that also seems to be nothing but a drive to store a auto run command and Motorola software it wants to install.  I should not have to disable my auto run command to stop the app from trying to run every time device is plugged in as a Mass Storage device.

0 Likes