Turn off data on Moto Droid?
mrwtn865

Does anyone know of a way with the Motorola Droid to turn off/on all of the data functionality? In otherwords where it will just function as a phone and not allow any of the apps to go out to get data/email/etc.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Turn off data on Moto Droid?
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

Touch and hold on the home screen then Widgets->Power Control

View solution in original post

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

my only guess, and i am not trying to be funny, but you might have to uninstall all that.

the programs should only collect data if you activate them but i understand that at times many apps will start up (all you have to do is check taskiller to see that) but they are in the background and should not be running.  but if it is a rogue app you might want to download an alternate app that wont go all Sarah Palin on you.

0 Likes
adam_losangeles
Enthusiast - Level 3

mrwtn865 wrote:

Does anyone know of a way with the Motorola Droid to turn off/on all of the data functionality? In otherwords where it will just function as a phone and not allow any of the apps to go out to get data/email/etc.

To turn off the 3G data stream completely, go to the Android Market and get the free "APNdroid" app.  You can then turn it on and off just by tapping on the icon.  The 3G status will be displayed in top notification bar.

By the way, the phone will always use WiFi over 3G when available.

Turning off WiFi is easy using the built-in Power control widget that you can install on the home screen.

It turns off WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Sync, and cycles through brightness modes.

0 Likes
mrwtn865

Sorry, I guess I really was not clear on what I am looking for.  I'm not trying to stop an individual application from running.  Essentially the situation is this.  I work in an environment where there is a policy that you cannot use ANY of the data features in a smartphone.  The only feature that is allowed to be used is the phone.  I know several people who use iPhones that can turn off 'push data' and email.  I was just looking to see if there was any way to turn on/off all data access for applications (including the built in ones).  Obviously my current solution is going to be keeping the device completely powered off when I take it into my office.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

mrwtn865 wrote:

Sorry, I guess I really was not clear on what I am looking for.  I'm not trying to stop an individual application from running.  Essentially the situation is this.  I work in an environment where there is a policy that you cannot use ANY of the data features in a smartphone.  The only feature that is allowed to be used is the phone.  I know several people who use iPhones that can turn off 'push data' and email.  I was just looking to see if there was any way to turn on/off all data access for applications (including the built in ones).  Obviously my current solution is going to be keeping the device completely powered off when I take it into my office.

method 1:

Airplane mode is a setting on many cellphones which disables their wireless communication abilities, theoretically making them approved for use on aircraft. While in airplaneairplaneairplane modemodemode, a phone cannot send or receive phone calls, text messages, picture messages, or video messages, and the user may not browse the Internet on the phone or use Bluetooth® devices with it. However, functions like music players, games, calendars, and so forth can continue to be used.

method 2:

i have seen it posted that the apps you download require the sd card to be in your Droid.  the app is initially stored on your phone, the processes of the app is ran through the sd card.  maybe remove the sd card?

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

search for "toggle data widget" in the market place. might be what you want.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

mrwtn865 wrote:

also try

settings>accounts&sync>background data (deactivate) also deactivate auto-sync

0 Likes
pdecks

How do you install the power control thing that you have a screenshtoot of? Thanks

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

Touch and hold on the home screen then Widgets->Power Control

0 Likes