Text notification ring stops working
MDStokes
Enthusiast - Level 2

My text message notification ringtone just stops working on my bionic.  I have tried changing it to see if that works, but ultimatly I have to fully reboot the phone to get it to come back.

Anyone else notice that?

0 Likes
Re: Text notification ring stops working
Wildman
Legend

How are you changing the notification, are you opening Messaging >Left Menu Button > Message Settings > Text Messaging > Scroll to notification area of list........  All these control all SMS and MMS accounts

0 Likes
MDStokes
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've tried both in application and in the general settings. 

I'm using a stock ring for the notifications, so there is no app that should be causing it to stop working. 

I noticed it first started happening when I was using Chomp.  Thought it was an issue with them.  Switched to Handsent, noticed it happened with them.  So I went back to the built in text message client (which stinks - because I love my pop up quick reply) and it happens with it also. 

It's annoying that I have to reboot my phone once or twice a day to get the notifications to work again.

My other bionic doesn't do it......but i keep telling myself (because I don't want to go through replacing my phone) that it's not the phone it's an app issue.  :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

If it is doing it with multiple apps, I hate to say it but a hard reset may be a good ideal because I haven't heard or the device doing that.

Have you tried clearing system cache or booting into Safe Mode?

Enable Safe mode

1. Power the device off.
    Note Press and hold the Power button then select Power off.
    Note If the device doesn't respond to input, remove and replace the battery.
    Power button
  2. Power the device on.
    Note Press and hold the Power button.
  3. When the Motorola Dual Core screen appears, release the power button then simultaneously press and hold Volume Up / Down keys.
    Safe mode
  4. Continue to hold the Volume Up / Down keys until Safe mode appears in the lower left.

Disable Safe mode

1. Power the device off.
    Note Press and hold the Power button then select Power off.
  2. Power the device on.
    Note Press the Power button.

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

MDStokes

It would most definitely be frustrating to have to pull your battery on a daily basis in order to get your text notifications to work.

As Wildman recommended, you should put your Bionic in Safe Mode which  is a method that allows the device to run without non-essential applications. This is beneficial for troubleshooting 3rd party applications.

If the Bionic still reacts the same way in safe mode then there is an issue with the phone itself and not an application. At this point you will need to hard reset  which will remove ALL data including the Google account, system data, application data, application settings, and downloaded applications. Only perform this reset as the final step of troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, for a hard reset, you will need to know your Gmail email address & password. You should also make sure you have backup assistant just in case your contacts are not save to gmail.

Let us know if safe mode or hard reset works for you.

0 Likes