Switching From The Original BlackBerry Storm to Droid X
Android_Freak

Ordered my phone through Verizon on 8/25. My X is expected to ship by 9/9. Anyone else switch from the BB Storm? If so, what should I expect from the X? Is there a big difference?

FWIW, I absolutely loath the Storm. It's the worst phone I've ever owned. So, I'm expecting/hoping for a lot from the X

0 Likes
Re: Switching From The Original BlackBerry Storm to Droid X
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

I didn't switch from a blackberry at all. The Droid X I know has a big screen,but you should like it just fine. You are already used to an all touch screen phone. Droid X is a completely different OS (runs on android).  There are more features to offer on it. You'll love the Droid X I am sure.  When you do get the phone, come back & repost you review/thought  of the phone.

0 Likes
shredde
Enthusiast - Level 2

the screen on the X doesn't push in, you just touch it when you would normally have to press in on the storm's screen.  To me, that is the biggest difference between the 2 phones.  I had the original storm1 for about the past year, and got my X a week or 2 ago.  I still have a little trouble sometimes scrolling a screen without accidentally opening something (the back arrow hard button is my friend).  But I love the X a lot, and i'm getting used to it.

0 Likes
Joshua89

I am switching from the BB storm also. So be like me and expect a whole NEW World and happiness.

0 Likes
edmartin

I switched after using the original Storm for over a year and a half.  There is some getting used to with touching the screen and scrolling and not launching apps :smileyhappy:.

Other than that (which I'm getting used to already - had my X for a little over a week), I LOVE my X!!!  Best phone I've ever owned!

0 Likes
DachshundsRcool

I had the BB STORM2 and I agree. Worst phone I've ever owned. I got it for Christmas and put up with it for eight months...cost me $300 to replace it with the Droid X....THE GOOD NEWS IS the Droid X is as good as the STORM is bad. You will ADORE the Droid X! It's worth the wait and the money and I really don't care about what new technology comes along now...I'm HAPPY with my Droid X! :smileyvery-happy: Enjoy!

0 Likes
Soly29
Contributor - Level 1

I'm also switching from the original Storm (1) and I cannot wait to get my X!! I'm anxiously awaiting it.  I ordered same 8/25 online and expect 9/9.  I hate the storm, it constantly freezes and is slower than a turtle.  I've had it almost 2 years and am desperate to get rid of it.  The X just seems like the most awesome phone ever.  My cousin sold me on Android and I'm looking forward to it and never looking back :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Android_Freak

Soly29 wrote:

I'm also switching from the original Storm (1) and I cannot wait to get my X!! I'm anxiously awaiting it.  I ordered same 8/25 online and expect 9/9.  I hate the storm, it constantly freezes and is slower than a turtle.  I've had it almost 2 years and am desperate to get rid of it.  The X just seems like the most awesome phone ever.  My cousin sold me on Android and I'm looking forward to it and never looking back :smileyhappy:

Same here! I've had the Storm for 2 years now and it ALWAYS freezes and lags. It's miserable to try and deal with. The touch/press screen calibration is awful and "presses" something my finger isn't even touching. It's an insanely bad phone.

I'm really hoping for a big performance boost with processing power and going online with the X. Also, Google Maps w/ Nav should be pretty awesome.

I ordered mine 8/25 in store with a 9/9 ship date. So, I'm paitently counting down the days.

0 Likes
admsteck

My wife and I also went from BB to Droid.  She got the Droid 2 (Came in day after I ordered on the phone) to replace her Curve and I got the X (arrived two weeks later) to replace my Storm 1.  What a difference!  Here's the rundown of what I see different so far (had it for just over a week).

1. Fast!  Everything is fast.  Browser loads pages several times faster than the Storm.  Scrolling, pinch to zoom, and every other aspect of browsing is amazing in comparison.  I used to dread getting on the web with the Storm and would prefer to wait till I could get to a computer.  Not any more! Switching apps is equally speedy and multitasking is awesome.

2. Much better memory management.  I had quick pull on my Storm scheduled to reboot every morning and was still getting slow and hourglasses by early evening.  I haven't had to reboot my X yet for slowdown.  I also have tons more apps installed.  I was down to only a few apps on my Storm to free up as much memory as possible.  I just keep downloading more on my X with no problems.

3. The screen does take a little getting used to.  I was in the habit of letting my finger rest on the screen to keep it on with my Storm.  It can be pretty sensitive for typing as well.  I get a few extra letters here and there but I'm getting better.  (Using swype helps alot).

4. Did I mention it's fast?

5. Battery life is about the same.  Except I am still playing with the X alot more.  :smileyhappy:

6. I wasn't a big business user and already use gmail for my personal email, as well as google calendar.  I had google sync on my Storm so the transition was easy there. My wife does use a pop account for her work email so it is kind of a bummer that it isn't push like the BB, but she's ok with it.  Switched from using BB Messenger to Google Talk with no problems either.  If you have a big list of contacts in BB Messenger, keep an eye on an app called CrossTalk that promises to be able to send BBM messages from Android phones.

7. Kinda bummed there isn't a unified inbox like on my Storm, but having everything show up in the notification drop down is just as good.

8. It's fast, even without battery pulls!

0 Likes
heymary

I was a long time Blackberry user. When my Blackberry Tour got dropped one to many times I went and got the Storm. I carried it exactly two days before I took it back. That was the worse phone I have ever owned. I have the Droid X now and I simply love it. So many options. The only thing that it doesn't have that I can't find an app for is the auto on/off feature that we had on Blackberry. I wish it did have that. Otherwise, it is outstanding. I recommend a free app called Handcent if you text at all. It enables you to assign different sounds to different people etc. for your sms notifications. I think you will love your Droid.

0 Likes